1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wet feathers...still?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zzguy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    i had a chicken hatch last night anothe one over night. today being the 21st day of incubation. the first born is still wet after that whole night. the new one even looks dryer than it. should i worry?

2. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    nope I would take them to the brooder though. Sounds like they are healthy little guys. Gotta give us pics when you get them. [​IMG]
    enjoy![​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Hey ZZ. I agree with TSA. he/she will do better in there. Just make sure you dont have any drafts or else something might happen if she/he is to wet.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you have more eggs in there, just leave the chicks. The humidity in there will slow down the drying time but they will eventually dry. I would not compromise the other eggs in there.

5. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    now its noon and i have 3 chicks!!! there is only one other egg that has cracks in it, infact the crack in this one egg goes all the way around the egg, but the egg hasn't chirped or wiggled all day. is he dead??

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Cant say for sure, he may just be resting. I know it sounds weird but I try to wake them up by shining a flashlight on them and tapping the top of the bator. They usually start to wiggle around. Good luck.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Some like to rest quite a while. If you can see it's beak, at least you know that it's getting air.
    I don't know about others, but I do take them out after a day and put them in a brooder, the heat lamp dries them better.

8. Zzguy

Zzguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    im aproaching the end of the 21st day and the cracked still hasnt came out, i know its alive because it wiggles a little, but its beak isn't showing and the whit membrane has been exposed for nearly 12 hours. im avoiding taking the eggs out because that would envolve opening the hova, and i still have rhode islands in the that aren't due untill tomorrow. should i help the chicken out of its egg? do i risk opening the bator??

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Dont take the risk. I was lucky I took the risk helping out a silkie. The draft will kill it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by