wet feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leonphelps, Aug 22, 2011.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    with the rain last weekend, all of my food in the feeders was soaked. Is it ok to dry it out re-use it? I did notice is smelling like it was fermenting.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    No, wet feed can grow bacteria and mold. Dump it in the trash and start with new. Our feeders are lepta inside so they don't get rained on.

3. Carter57

Carter57 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I only keep a days worth of feed it the feeder at a time. When it gets wet i dump in a tray and they love it wet. But i do this as soon as it gets wet.

4. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    my guineas eat the full feeder each day. they are like vultures.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Throw it in the trash.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I agree . I've read that the mold on the feed can kill your birds. I've opened just bought feed & saw it had mold on it & had to throw it out.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree . I've read that the mold on the feed can kill your birds. I've opened just bought feed & saw it had mold on it & had to throw it out.

Do u think that your feed store would have taken it back and refunded your money being as though it wasn't your fault?

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

Do u think that your feed store would have taken it back and refunded your money being as though it wasn't your fault?

It's been awhile back as you might know it hasn't rained forever & a day. I think I might of left the bag in the back of my truck & it got wet. I don't know why they don't use water resistant bags. Its probably the cost of the bag I don't know. Dang feed is expensive enough should come in a free garbage can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by