1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet Feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyVictorian, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Okay I know I am probably just a paranoid new mom to my chicks and all but I have to ask something. So my babies are up and eating and running and drinking right now but a few have jumped into the water and got wet feet. They are silkie chicks with fluff on their feet and about a week old. Should I dry off their feet with a towel or are they alright? I don't want them to get sick of die. They are still eating very well but every now and again they get going and run really fast and jump right through the water.

2. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Oh also the Splash Sora when it drinks water puts it butt up on the air and it's chest on the ground and tilts it head up. Is that okay or normal or is there something wrong with Sora? Everyone else just raises their head and stays standing. Sora eats normal like the others but sticks it's butt up and sort of lays down then tilts it's head up.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    As long as their feet aren't staying wet I can't imagine it's a problem as you probably have them in a heated brooder, which should help them dry out.

I would change out any wet bedding if the splashing is causing the bedding to get wet.

What type of waterer are you using? I assume something similar to one of these? http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/3/33/160x160px-LS-330e437b_1gal_poultry_waterer_lg.jpeg If so try raising it up on a brick (or I used an overturned cat bowl, since that doesn't lift it as high) so they can't easily stick their toes into it. Once they get older don't be surprised if they try to perch on it or knock it over. [​IMG]

4. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Yup, got them under a heat lamp and have the waterer on a towel to keep shavings try and on an upturned plate but they get running around so crazy and jump up on it and off of it and flap their wings chasing each other. They are about a week old right now. And I do use the typical water because I don't want them drowning or getting wet in a bowl. I made sure all their shavings are dry which isn't an issue since I change and refresh shavings daily and only 4 chicks. Just wasn't sure if them getting their feet wet with fluff on their feet will be a problem since they are silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by