Wet floors?

Puresilk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yale
I am not sure how or why they do it, but the space under the waterer is ALWAYS soaking wet..I have the waterer hung on a rope, about a foot off the ground...I am positive the waterer doesnt leak, is there a specific reason birds will spill water? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have an easter egger that splashes the water out with her beak when I hang it. She then seems to enjoy eating the chick crumbles that are on the floor after it is all wet. Before that when the waterer was on the floor she would stick her feet in it and scratch. The food that would stick to her wet feet would get in the water. She would then gobble the food up that was in the water. It seems to always be this one chicken. Her muffs are almost always soaking wet from her doing this. Strange.

Hi! Have you ever heard of "chicken nipples"? hahahah I know, sounds funny, but, seriously!!! Go to Google and type it in...will take you to a site and explain all about them. Your water problem will be solved. The chickens will love them and you won't have to train them how to use them....(it is a small tip you put in the bottom of a water container and it puts out water as the chicken pecks at it!) They are a blessing. Keeps the floors dry and the water sanitary! Ahhh, go to this site: www.qcsupply.com they sell them at the cheapest price I've found! Let me know if you try them, how you like them. Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

I am gonan try setting it on a concrete block, see if they are bumping into it and spilling it...thanks for the replies
smile.png

I will betcha anything your problem is that it's hanging, and swings when they bump it. Put it on a cinderblock or whatever, with the hanging chain slightly loose (so it's just preventing the waterer from getting actually knocked *over*), and that is likely to fix the problem altogether.

If it doesn't, if you have one of those occasional "really messy drinker" chickens, put the cinderblock on which the waterer sits into a shallow pan or tray; that will prevent the water and wet bedding from spreading across the floor, and you can just change it out every now and then if it seems to be getting ucky.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom