Wet Food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bills vs Beaks, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Hi
    I have a chicken(no ducks, ever) friend who is always telling me wet feed is baaaad. She says it goes moldy and gives them sour crop. When my duckies were little, I wet their feed to make it easier for them to eat. Now I just do it coz I find my ducks drop pellets all over the place and waste them in the mud. Is it really actually bad? I would like to start a civil discussion, opposing viewpoints welcome, but no arguing please.
    Thank you![​IMG]
    ps. I only give them a little food at a time so no worrys about it getting moldy

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks and chickens get fermented feed - I use the "starter" method, leaving some each time in the fermenting bucket so, like sourdough, it will continue to ferment the next batch. The ducks like it soupy, the chickens prefer more of an oatmeal consistency (even chicks get FF after the first few days). There seems to be less waste and it's definitely preferred by the ducks. I only make enough for a day's feeding (plus the extra for starter), so it doesn't mold - the lacto-fermentation, if working properly, will help inhibit the growth of pathogens. All of my diners are happy and healthy.

3. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I must try fermenting it, that sounds cool.
    My family does do some fermenting, I make beer and my dad does sourdough. How do you get the starter to start?

4. FoodFreedomNow

There are a number of ways to start the ferment, but if you just add enough water to the feed to cover it so that a couple of inches of liquid remains on top after mixing thoroughly, in a few days, it will be bubbly and have a "fermenty" smell (you brew beer, so you know what I mean). Once it's good and fermented, you can simply use most of it - just save a couple of cups of it each time as starter. I also add brewer's yeast for the ducks, and I think that speeds up the process, too.

I recently started a thread in the Hobbies forum on fermenting, but it doesn't seem to be sparking much interest. Any interest in sharing there about your homebrewing?

5. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Ah I thought yeast might help but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help
    As for the fermenting thread, I'd be happy to join but I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to offer much. I do things mostly by trial and error lol. Can you send me the link?

6. FoodFreedomNow

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Anyone else care to vote?

8. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I feed mine their pellets dry, but put their wheat in thugs, making it easier to eat and prevents vermin. For me fermenting feed smells too bad and it's just easier feeding them their food straight from the bag.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Hey thanks for voting but have to ask: what are thugs?

10. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Oops! I ment rubber trugs not thugs (autocorrect [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by