Wet food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joskt0204, Jun 19, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    It's rained so much and so hard that my chicken starter in my big feeder I just bought it all wet. They love it when I make a mash, but I'm guessing this will spoil and need to be dumped out?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes it will mold fast and there is realy no hope of doing anything to dry it out, live and learn. Can you put the feeder in a drier spot.

3. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    WET FOOD CAN KILL CHICKENS FAST!!! [​IMG]

There's no knowing how quickly the mold starts and it can kill them without you smelling the mold. I lost several of my flock this way a few weeks ago, thus the enthusiasm.
    Please throw it away from where they can get t it, fast, and give them dry food ONLY!
    You can wire up or chain a plastic carpet protector or other plastic thing over where a hanging feeder is, thus waterproofing the area, or build a little picnic-shelter type canopy in your yard if they free range.

Good luck!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think about the only way to save it would be to freeze it. If and as stated before there is NO mold. If it has been a while just toss it.

Imp- Good luck

btw, molds can grow very fast-like in a few hours it can start.

5. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    I'll toss it. It's a hanging feeder, but my husband wasn't here to hang it, so I just sat it out. It rained, hard, and was windy.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's too bad, but at least chicken food is cheap. And that is a reasonable price for peace of mind.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by