Wet fowl pox?! Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awarmrainyday, Feb 27, 2017.

1. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I have a silkie hen that I've had for approximately 8 months who started hiding in a nest box with half of her face swollen three weeks ago. I brought her inside thinking it was just a respiratory issue since she had a lot of nasal discharge but she didn't respond to Tylan. Then I noticed a scab inside of her mouth so thinking Canker I treated her for over a week with Metronidazole. That didn't help at all and the inside of her mouth continued to get worse. Now I'm thinking she must have wet fowl pox. She has been isolated for three weeks and no one else has shown any similar symptoms. She's been getting Penicillin injections, since she can't eat she gets tube fed three times a day with Kaytee bird formula, Nutri-drench, ACV, and raw duck egg yolk. She will drink a little bit of water on her own that has oxine in it. I swab her mouth with iodine tincture. I've also tried listerine, clorox, and human canker sore treatment to try and soothe it but nothing seems to help. I clean her mouth three times daily with peroxide too. Chunks of white stuff builds up in her mouth and pulling it out seems to reduce some of the swelling in her face but it also makes her bleed some. Now her ear is leaking a clear liquid and the sores have pretty much corroded the one side of the slit on the roof of her mouth. There is a very small sore on the other side of her throat but her tongue and airway are completed unaffected. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have NEVER culled and really don't want to start now, and for her to last thing long she really must have a will to live. Help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to the vet?

3. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    Unfortunately no vets around here will see chickens and I'm pretty sure my husband would not be happy about that expense since we are just beginning some major home repairs and renovations. I've read that it can take up to five weeks for wet fowl pox to run its course so I'm really hoping that's the case.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How warm is it where you live? Do you have mosquitoes out now? If not it probably is not wet fowl pox. The pictures really look like classic canker to me, but the swelling of her eye and face look like a respiratory disease. Either one of those can make her a carrier of those diseases to the rest of the flock. There are other pigeon medicines used for canker if you search online.

1 person likes this.
  5. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    Thanks Eggcessive! When she first started showing symptoms it was extremely cold here (we are in PA). I have not seen any mosquitos here yet this year. I already treated her for 10 days with Metronidazole which I thought was used to treat canker. The medicine you are referring to, is it Ronex? I can't find that on Amazon Prime, I was hoping to be able to order something and have it quickly. Whatever I need to help her! I will try anything at this point.

I am happy to report that this morning she didn't have nearly as much mucous discharge from her nose and mouth. Usually in the morning she is hanging her head with string of it dangling from her beak. This morning she just had some white gunky stuff. She seemed a little bit more alert although her face is still swollen and hard- no discharge from her ear this morning either. The only thing I did differently last night was I added a half capsule of turmeric to her tube feeding (I usually give the turmeric to my english mastiff to help his joints, I use it as a natural anti-inflammatory for him). I had been giving her smaller amounts of it but I figured what the heck last night and gave her much more than usual. Maybe I'll try that again to see if that helped her.

I'm desperate, I'll try anything to get her better. Like I said, no one else is showing any symptoms at all, I've been nervously checking their beaks and they are all clear.

6. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is what I cleaned from her beak this morning.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have never treated canker, but from my reading I did see quite a few medicine choices for canker from Jedds online. Just Google "canker in pigeons" and you should see the link. Aviazole, Demetrizole and others look like something useful.

8. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    I ordered some aviozole. Hopefully it gets here quickly and helps her. Thanks so much for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by