wet looking chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RobRoo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RobRoo

RobRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Western Montana
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but here it goes. All the chicks I hatch at home look wet even long after the are good and dry. They look like they are wearing gel or something. Takes about 5-7 days for them to fluff out. Any reason for this??????????????

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i would guess you're humidity is too high. if i'm wrong i sure hope someone corrects me. but i thought high humidity causes "sticky chick". what IS your humidity when you put them into lockdown? don't count the humidity after they all start hatching, cuz it will go up a lot when they hatch, which is normal and no big deal.

3. RobRoo

Dec 19, 2011
    Western Montana
    Thanks for the reply. I don't know what the humidity has been because they came from eggs stolen from a broody hen a week or so ago. I had to gather them up and put them in the incubator beacause of a freek snow storm and cold temps. they seem to be healthy...just have thier down slicked back.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    lol, well at least you saved them! that's great! they'll be cute and fuzzy before you know it. but i know it's bothersome. i've had a few like that in the past. i would just call them Squiggy till they fluffed out.....you may be too young to know who Squiggy is? but he was a guy in an old sitcom (Lavern and Shirley) and he had his hair all slicked back all the time. lol!

5. RobRoo

Dec 19, 2011
    Western Montana
    lol I'm definetly older than squiggy!!!!

6. HomestedHomeboy

HomestedHomeboy Out Of The Brooder

Why would you steel them from the broody? Just move the broody into a warm shed or laundry room. There is a good chance that she can hatch them and care for them better than you can, and its less work for you. You might be able to sneak the chicks back under her at night if she is still sitting.

Neil Wigley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by