Wet looking spots on eggs??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Jan 11, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    My eggs have been in the incubator for 22 days now and nothing yet, but it just acquired to me that some of my eggs have developed wet looking spots about the size of a dime and nickel on the shell, the spots are not really wet they almost look like a oily mark on the shell. Is this a bad sign, or am I just paranoid? [​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Have the eggs cracked? If so, they will often oozie.

If it is oil then that is a bad thing. Oil of any kind clogs the pores.

3. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Condensation Maybe? Do they smell? Run a steaming hot shower and fog up the bathroom as much as you can, then take your bator in there and open it, take a quick peek and candle some to see if you can see movement. I did that in lockdown yesterday, and both of mine hatched today with no problem.Good luck!

4. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:No cracks, come to think of it, it my be my own skin oils, I've been the only ones handling them..

5. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:They don't smell, I'd hate to handle them again, I candled them just this morning very quickly and noticed movement in a couple of them and all the rest are very dark with the air compartment at the large end.. I'm just a paranoid first hatcher I think! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by