Wet Mash

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gardenak, May 3, 2009.

1. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I have been giving the babies a wet mash. They LOVE it. When I put the bowl in the brooder I start a feeding frenzy! They eat the regular chick starter too. Should I stop? Are they being spoiled?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

wet mashed up chick starter?

if it's mashed up starter, I don't see the problem

the only problem I could see is if you were overfeeding the treats or if they started holding out for treats and not eating their starter

3. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    Yes, it's their chick starter.

4. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    They are excited about eating and hydrating at the same time! Job well done![​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine love it too. I use Nutrena chick starter unmedicated. The feed is like a powder. I mix it with water and they love it, so do the ducks. You can also add a bit of molasses as a treat.

6. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I hadn't thought about molasses. Great idea! Thanks

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    You can also add some mashed up banana or applesauce. I also use non-medicated Nutrena and I think I like it better than Sunfresh(purina), so far. It smells fresher to me and the crumbles are nice and consistant, so far not too much powder. Anyhow, I give my babies the same mix with warm water and they just gobble it like crazy. I think it is soo cute to see them so happy about it.

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine love the wet crumbles- and even dust bath in it!

9. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    :lol:Mine did too! What a mess they make! Yesterday I put them pine shavings so that helps clean them up somewhat.

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I never even thought about feeding them wet mash until I had ducks and chicks hatch at the same time and I knew the baby ducks needed wet mash to get a good start. I was so surprised when the baby chicken started wolfing the stuff down too and the baby turkey even loves it. I credit the wet mash as the reason this baby turkey has done so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by