Wet, Muddy coop.. idea's?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Daisy668, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    It's been really wet here so my chicken pen that is about 6m by 5m ish for 5 chickens is liquid mud! It's horrible and the chickens don't like it either. What's good to put down?
    Apparently sand is but i'm not sure about that it's not really very chickeny if that makes sense! [​IMG]
    Thanks. Daisy. xx

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

if it's really that muddy that it is mush, I would lay down a gravel base of 1" rock first and then put down the sand over the top to fully cover the gravel. Then you will have better drainage, too! The gravel will act as a great base for the water to run down through. The sand will pack down into the rock and you'll need to put enough down that it covers well. There isn't much you can do if you have a low spot where the run is and water sits in it, but put down gravel and sand.

ETA: **oh- before laying down the gravel, I'd dig out as much of the mud as you can to put your gravel base down on.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    If it is really wet where you are, first, put down a layer of small gravel. After the gravel is down, then put sand. I know you would not think chickens would like sand, but they really actually do! They enjoy dusting in it and it is more sanitary than something like hay that decays.

4. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Quote:x2 sorry hawkeye I did not see your post

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    thanks. yeah i wasn't sure about sand for chickens but i'll try it. i use to put bark chippings down but they got too expensive [​IMG]
    thanks. Daisy. xx

7. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    sweet, i have the same issue [​IMG] !! thank you!

8. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    Thank ddawn

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:We had several storms recently that put down over 3 inches of rain in less than an hour, I had a huge problem.
    I finallly had my DH go and get a load of creek sand. I put the stuff down on top of the mud, as the mud was in no hurry to dry up.
    Now problem solved, and the hens love the stuff. Only thing was it is hotter on the feet I think than plain dirt.
    I went to Lowes and got them a Patio Mister for them.

10. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    Its good to know chickens like sand i just didn't think they would..
    Thanks.
    Daisy. xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by