Wet/Muddy run, what could I do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OrloffTom, Aug 21, 2010.

1. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    It's been raining pretty regular this past week and some places in my run are getting muddy. I know that adding sand would help the drainage and it not be so muddy but what type of sand do I need to get? bagged play sand? Or is there something else I could do? I'm going out later and was gonna head by the store to get a few things so I was gonna get something to help with that bud I wasn't sure what to get. Thanks in advance!

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I would stick to a coarser construction type sand. Plus it'll give you and endless supply of grit...

3. OrloffTom

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    I wonder if they sell that at the hard ware store (Lowes) or I would have to get that some where else?

4. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    you can get contractor grade sand from a Big Box store or contact a local quarry, if there is one in your yellow pages. A quarry is MUCH less expensive and may have delivery capabilities contracted thru a local hauler.

You will want to get enough to cover with at least 2 inches to allow for percolation/drainage. If you really want to do things right, consider a 2 inch layer of 1/4 - 1/2 inch rock covered with landscape cloth the topped with 2 inches of sand. This method will act like a french drain and will keep things VERY DRY.

The rock and sand cost total less than $35 for a 6" layer inside a 16X7 area.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:If you have a truck you can go to a gravel pit and buy it by the ton for about $7.-10. per ton. That's how I get mine. Will

6. OrloffTom

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    @BankerJohn, that's a pretty sweet setup you have there! I'll look today and just see what they have. That may be something that I will do in the near future. I'm hoping to get a new job soon and it will bring in a good bit of extra money to do some more improvements to my run!
    @Will, unfortunately I don't have a truck and there are a few quarries around so that could be something that I get my neighbor to help me with [​IMG],

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. OrloffTom

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Thanks Ridgerunner I sure will check out that thread [​IMG].

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You can buy bagged sand at Lowes and Home Depot; I've tried both. I use the "all purpose" sand (rather than play sand), and at least in my area, I like the product they sell at Home Depot. Their all purpose sand is coarser and more what I want than the product Lowes sells.

For those of us without trucks, it's handy to be able to buy sand a couple of bags at a time.

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Your exactly right, just seems a shame to spend the same on 2 bags(100 lbs) as you would 1 ton (2000 lbs) in the case if she had access to a pick-up. 2 bags of sand doesn't go very far. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by