Wet, nearly frozen chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmykay24, Dec 18, 2013.

1. emmykay24

emmykay24 New Egg

Jun 28, 2012
    I have free range chickens and one of them was missing tonight. We found it stuck in a drain soaking wet, and the water is near freezing. What should I do to help this poor chicken?

2. wsufans

wsufans Out Of The Brooder

Can you bring her inside... like in a dog crate or enclosure... next to a heater until she dries? or in a garage with a brooder lamp?

3. elbricker

elbricker Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2013
    I had a similar situation last weekend, I found my Loosie thoroughly soaked, hypothermic, in shock, with a bloodless 1 inch laceration on the back of her neck -- she was unconscious but breathing. I brought her inside to the bathroom & slowly warmed her with the blow dryer on low setting ( no more than 1-2 minutes) and alternately dripped warm water into her beak from the tip of my finger. This process took about 3 hours but she woke up in a kind of stuporous state but able to drink on her own. I spoke with a vet on the phone & he told me to keep her warm & off feed till the next day. I put her in a dog cage in a warm, darkened room with warm water. The next morning, I fed her warm oatmeal then regular feed at noon. She was eating & drinking but definitely disoriented & could only walk backwards. By monday morning, she was able to walk properly & I was able to take her to the vet that evening & get her an antibiotic shot for the dog bite. I'm still keeping her warm in the house & gave her 2 more shots at home. She seems to be mending pretty well but she is mute--I hope she'll get her voice back. Don't know if this is helpful to you, but I hope your chicken makes it. I don't know much about chickens but I have some experience with rewarming humans & the key is to provide fluids as you warm slowly because warming causes blood vessels to dilate intensifying the shock.

1 person likes this.
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    X2

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Bring her inside and warm her up. You can try blowing her dry/warm with a blow-drier, or simply put her beneath a heat lamp, or next to a fire or oven. Massage her legs and body to help improve circulation, too. If/when she wakes up a bit, offer her some warm oatmeal or moistened chicken feed, and plenty of warm water. Other than that, I don't think there is much else you can do. Good luck!

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you suspect frostbite,never rub/massage affected limbs as this will only increase further damage to tissue.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Hopefully your chicken will survive with the good advice you have been given.

8. elbricker

elbricker Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2013
    Update on Loosie: outdoor temps here moderated this weekend & Loosie is back in the chicken barn. Since I am afraid my other chickens will peck her healing wound, I still have her in a large dog cage. She did spend some closely supervised time in the run yesterday--as soon as she heard the rest of her flock she started clucking. She has her voice back!!!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad she's doing better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by