Wet Pox Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Oct 12, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    A hen has a bubbly eye, sounds a little stuffed nose, and today i noticed yellowish sores in her mouth that have an odor, she is seperated from the flock.

I think wet pox, put iodine on spots. I need to know more about wet pox. I need advice as I have 40 other hens. Can I put iodine in there water for the rest of the flock? I heard baking soda would help as a rinse also, should I do this?? arguh, we just got over a disease and just started getting eggs again, now this [​IMG] i am beyond frustrated. are more going to die??

please help

2. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    is wet pox contagious?

3. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    would putting terramyicin in their water help?

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is in deed wet pox, there is not much you can do with the bird. You can try using Iodine on a q-tip and reach as many sores in the mouth as possible but it is almost impossible to treat. The sores will get large enough and numerous enough to suffocate the bird. Fowl pox can be spread from chicken to chicken through contact with the sores or any discharge from them. It is originally brought in by mosquitos, mites, lice and such. You can get Fowl Pox vaccine and treat your other 39 birds before they possibly get it. You will want to get the vaccine for adult birds. It is not that expensive, around $6 for a 1000 dose vial. It is a two part live vaccine. It is done by wing web application. It is a two prong deal that is dipped into the vaccine and then pushed through the web of the wing. The vaccine is only viable for about half an hour so you would have to work quickly but with two people and caged birds it goes pretty fast. The vaccine also has to remain refrigerated so having it shipped is not cheap but a possible option if you cannot find it local. You can also give your birds Terramycin to help prevent secondary infection.

5. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    so am i going to loose my flock?

6. ThePamperedPullet

You will probably loose the one infected hen but that is not necessarily always true. I have seen a rare few come through it. I would definately vaccinate the rest of them so that it does not spread. I would even vaccinate the one who has it but do her last.

7. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    should i put garlic or vinegar in their water??

anything else i can do, i don't know if i can vaccinate them all.

this is so frustrating [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  8. ThePamperedPullet

There is no known cure for fowl pox. The wet or dry versions. Just because one has it doesn't mean that they will all get it. If your infected hen is isolated from the rest then the chance of spread is less but not totally gone. You can take the chance and not do anything and watch your other girls for any early signs. Make sure there is no standing water around where mosquitos can breed. Watch for dry pox lesions on their heads, combs and wattles as this variety is much more common. Think about the vaccine. If you don't think you can do them all at once then get two vials of vaccine and do half at a time. You can do i at night while they are roosting so it is easier to get ahold of the birds.

9. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    I hate to say it but would culling her help save most of the flock?

she is seperated right now, but i might of been to late in seperating her as i don't know how long she had this.

what can i do to build their immune system?

can dry pox turn into wet pox?

there is so much on wet pox i am just getting started reading all of them [​IMG]

how much is the vaccine?

they have been through so much already in the past month and now this [​IMG]

sorry for all of the questions, so if i see dry pox should i check for wet pox??

thx again

10. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Oh my goodness - not more trouble!! [​IMG] You really have been through a lot - mites, CRD, possible coryza.. now wet pox too! [​IMG]

Either you have the worst luck or your birds are really compromised from the sicknesses passing through the flock. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm wondering if culling them would be best then you can clean everything out and then start fresh with healthy birds..

However if you want to continue treating (which I can totally understand but I just feel so bad for all you've had to go through!!) - you need to iodine the lesions and you will need to remove them or they will grow and eventually prevent the bird from eating and/or breathing. It is painful to have them removed so take it slow but it has to be done. And you may need to help the bird eat/drink.

Good luck and keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by