Wet Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vckums, May 4, 2009.

1. vckums

vckums Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    Right now the run has grass and I know that won't last long. What's best for a run floor to use in wet weather?
    Also with it being grass right now, how can I keep the smell down? I don't want the neighbors complaining.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It has been really wet here lately and I simply throw straw around.

As far as smell, how many chickens do you have?

I have 29 chickens and smell is not an issue for me until I go in and till the run then that brings the ammonia smell to the surface. It last only a short while. I only till on sunny days as each part of my run gets sun at least part of the day.

3. vckums

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    I have 4 chickens. But we live in the suburbs so I'm concerned about it. We notice it when we walk up to the run.

The hay doesnt mold in the wet weather?

4. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I have 19 chickens and they don't free range. I've not had a smell problem in my run. I just figured the rain washed all the "nasties" away. it gets a little muddy in the run, but it dries pretty quickly after the rain and all is well again.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I wouldn't think you'd have an odor with only 4 chickens...how big is their space? Maybe they just need more space. I would just leave the run dirt....they love to scratch around in it and dust bathe in it.

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Put down mulch,rocks,sand.Just 4 chickens shouldn't be bad.We have 70 and you wouldn't know it unless you opened the barn door and stired up the pine shavings.Our ducks are waaaay stinkier.Just good up keep on the coop and run should be good enough.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't have any issue with the straw going moldy. What they don't work into the ground they scratch into little itty bitty pieces.

With four chickens you should not be experiencing any oder problems.

9. vckums

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    Thanks for the link, I read that.

Their coop is an old rabbit hutch with 2 nesting boxes on the sides. The run is attached to it and is 8ft W x 16ft L. As far as expanding, that's as big as we can go due to us not having "land". My house sits on 0.25 acres. I got neighbors on both sides and behind us, and there was smell even with 4 chickens. It wasn't OMG thats horrid, but you knew there was chickens lol I know they are gonna smell a bit, just don't want to have that get bad.

We went and got a few bags of mulch and spread it out there. Parts not covered with a roof I am hoping the rain will wash away the poopies they do.

Thanks so much for the replies! We appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by