wet sounding sneeze

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jossalyn, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jossalyn

jossalyn New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    i have a 3 week old cinnamon queen who just started having a wet sounding sneeze. she is still happy to eat and drink. i added a tsp of apple cide vinegar to their water. she is with twi other birds the same age and they are fine. i cleanes their broodee and changed the bedding to paper towel (was using pine) any othee suggestions? im nervous my other babies are going to catch something. i tried to separate then and she screamed and tried to fly out. it seemes like it qas doing more harm then good. help

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How often is she sneezing?

Dry dusty bedding and feed along with mold growing around spilled water can cause some sneezing.

Keep watch on her, if you start to notice any thick mucous/discharge from the nostrils, coughing, rales or watery eyes, then you may want to separate her. Also watch to see when she sneezes - is it when she drinks/eats - is she getting a bit of water or food in her nostrils and is sneezing to clear them out?

Offer some poultry vitamins in the water and see that she is eating well.

3. jossalyn

jossalyn New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    She is sneezing erratically, a few times every few minutes. I had them on pine that i have been changing every 2-3 days but last night I switched them to paper towels as i was worried about the dust. The sneezing doesn't seem to be associated with anything specific. I am going to stop by tractor supply today and pick up some electrolytes to add to their water. Any opinion on VetRX? I heard good things about this but i worry they are too young for that.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Adding some electrolytes or vitamins to the water would be fine.

As for VetRx, I have never used it, but have heard good things as well. I don't really see a problem trying it, some that have used it say it smells similar to Vicks Vapor Rub. Instructions for use are online and on the bottle, it would be worth a try.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by