wet straw ?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimisfishing, Nov 9, 2011.

1. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I have a bunch of straw on the ground in my chicken pen, it got wet in the rain and I am now worried that it is bad for them to be on it. Do I need to clean the wet straw up????

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Yep. It gets snotty slick and sticky. I use compressed wood chips. $6.00 for a compressed bag that opens up to almost 10 cuft. It is worth it and easy to manage and deal with. When done and dirty you wheel barrel it to the flower beds and compost pile.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If there's just a little I wouldn't worry about it but if it's a deep layer it will probably get moldy so I'd replace it.

4. FarmerMel

FarmerMel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't think it is bad for them. I put straw in the chicken run year round. Our chicken's feet are cleaner stepping on the wet straw than mud. Though after a really heavy rain, I would put fresh dry straw over the wet straw.

5. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I was thinking it should go, I think I will try to get some sand for it, but am going to get the straw out now. Thanks

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If it were me, it would have to go. I would change out that wet bedding. Sand is great to use.

7. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    this is not bedding it is just in the outside pen, but it is going anyway cause it will just keep getting wet

8. FarmerMel

FarmerMel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Quote:How does the sand do during the winter time? When it snows? Is the sand too cold for the chickens in the winter? I am thinking about putting sand in our chicken run [​IMG] Thanks!

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:How does the sand do during the winter time? When it snows? Is the sand too cold for the chickens in the winter? I am thinking about putting sand in our chicken run [​IMG] Thanks!

I've only had sand since January 2011 and we have not had a cold winter yet, so I'm not sure. I will find out in a few months.

10. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    FarmerMel, I can't answer for Kuntrygirl in Opelousas, La. but here in Slidell, La. (near New Orleans) at 56 years old, I have only seen snow locally 5 times. And it was short lived. So, sand will do just fine even in areas above I-10, which we call the north...just joking. Sand is porous, so snow melt should not be an issue. Just my opinion.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by