wetbulb therm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pokey, Feb 23, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    can someone please post a pic of your wetbulb therm used to measure humidity? thank you - you would help me to keep my sanity right now. [​IMG]

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I just use a thermometer/humidity meter from wally world, cost around six bux, works well for me.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:A wet bulb thermometer is simply a thermometer with a wet wick of some kind on it. A cotton tube of sorts that is in water and then wrapped around a thermometer. you will then read wet and dry bulb temps and use a chart to convert to humidity. It is simple but works very well.

4. ladrifter

ladrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Liberty, Ky
  5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    so do you just wrap the wick around the end on the therm and lay it in the incubator or do you need to lay it in the water well for it to work? [​IMG]

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  7. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The "sock" on the wet bulb must wet to get a reading. You can dip it into water and take a reading when the sock is still wet or have a sock with one end in water and the other on the themometer. I cant tell from this photo but it looks like you dip it in the little reservoir and take a reading when it settles. The thermometer cannot be in the water.

8. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    The little sock goes into the little reservoir and you fill with water and put the lid back on it. Then let it warm up in the bator and take a reading. I have to fill it every couple days if I want to keep taking a reading. But I have one of those cheap $6 dial hygrometers from petsmart that is right on with the readings. I just use this one as a back up when needed.

9. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks I could not tell from the photo. I have a question. With all the debate about the accuracy of the electronic hygrometers and calibrating etc. It seems this wet bulb dry buld thing is very accurate is it not?

10. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I like it a lot I just wish the water reservoir was bigger on it. But it reads correctly once the water warms up. I have spent no telling how much money on hygrometers and thermometers and finally bought the wet/dry one. Then come to find out the cheap $6 reptile hygrometer is spot on and my acurite one is also spot on. The others that was off went in the trash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by