We've decided on Jersey Buff Turkeys! New Pics pg6

DawnSuiter

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
Hooray! After much debate, many lists, hundreds of internet & book pages, we've settled on Jersey Buff Turkeys!

These are beautiful birds people, and SO rare unfortunately. We are ordering 15 poults NOW for 2009 from Sand Hill. And I hope to hatch some eggs from Porters as well.

These are basically the only two sources I can find. Does anyone else know of anyone with these birds? If not now, please PLEASE keep me in mind if you ever hear of any!

I have to learn all about the breeding, so much to do!! So much to do!

wee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. I was browsing around eBay and found an auction for 6 porters fertile eggs. He really has good feedback, even on shipped eggs. One in particular stick out.. "6 eggs won, 6 eggs developing" that was about halfway through incubation, so I'm hoping to have as good of luck.

I guess I'll keep posting here on my adventures with Buff Turkeys for anyone in the future who wants to get into them.

Now I'm off to construct a turkey brooder & grow out pen. Both of which will have a wire floor, cleanliness is next to godliness with turkeys, or so I hear.

AWESOME! The Jersey Buff is a BEAUTIFUl bird! Also Porter has some amazing birds. He has any and all Heritage birds you could want. And he makes some of his own creations which are cool too!
Please keep us updated...and do POST PICS!
big_smile.png

I pre-paid for another dozen eggs from Porters today, about all he could spare the rest of this season! The won't ship right away so I'll already have the 6 started in one incubator, and a second bator setup for the dozen that are incoming.

I'm excited to be doing this, you have NO idea! Thanks for following along!

Oh my goodness! Porter does have quite the amazing flock of turkeys!
Next year I plan on ordering some of his fire poults! Keeping myself a pair or 2 and selling the rest.

I just got another turkey egg today... and that is in my bator
smile.png

You'll have to post a picture of a Jersey buff for us to see!
Keep us updated as to how everything goes for you!
Good luck!

Last edited:
I too am in love with those Fall Fire Turkeys, but I wanted to stick with a known heritage breed for what I'm doing, plus Buffs are critically rare.

If I ever expand though, Fall Fire would be NEXT on my list for my own personal enjoyment, they are just GEORGEOUS!
tongue.png

I will definetly post pics & keep this thread updated.

My personal fav is either the Blue/Red Bronze or the REGAL RED. Also the mottled chocolates and chocolate palms he is working on should be sweeeeet! And jersey buffs are just as cool!
big_smile.png

He really does have some fantastic mixes going on there, and to think they are all capable of creating offspring without artificial insemination! HA what a concept. I'm looking forward to the many turkey eggs & offspring we hope to have.

I ordered the standard turkey book.. Storey's Guide to Raising Turkey to add to my poultry collection.

and when I learn something important, I'll be sure to share it here.

right now the food concept is clearly a big controversy.. for instance poultry starter, suitable for turkeys around here varies in protein content from 16% to 24% and so far I've read that they need something more like 28%. We don't have any 'official' turkey starter etc, but the Game Bird Food & Poultry Food or Chicken Feed is what I have to choose from. Jeez, nothing is simple!

But hey.. if it were easy anyone could do it... it's the hard that makes it great!

Back
Top Bottom