We've got a new chicken coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by My Little Sister's Farm, Sep 19, 2009.

1. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    We moved in June and have been working like no other on our house. Now we've moved the chickens. They are now located in a 2 car garage we call The Shoppe. It was used as a car shop for 15 years, was greasy and dilapidated. We know the roof is the next thing to need repair. We used lots of left over lumber from years of building pastures and from the 1/2 of a barn that fell during the snow this past winter. We spent about $300 total to get this ready to go. My biggest pride is the roost we made out of wooden dowels and 2x6s.

***It is an old building and we have a lot more we want to do before winter comes. I am just too excited to hold of showing BYC our coop though***

Pictures are worth a thousand words right?

It took 2 weeks to get it chicken worthy, just in time for some major wind storms to roll in too.

Here is the inside: We used chips from trees we downed a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    And we made this roost with wooden dowels and 2x6s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They caught on quick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outside is pretty huge, and backs up to our buffalo pasture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The buffalo were quick curious.

[​IMG]

We are going to use the other side of the coop for storage and another smaller pen for raising babies. It is still a work in progress but I will add more pictures. Please let me know if you are interested in any details. I have no idea what would be useful information to other BYCers.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Congrats on your new coop![​IMG] I was so excited when mine was finally chicken ready so I know how you feel.

Pretty birds, too.

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi nice to meet you... I think I may be the green-eyed-monster! That is AWESOME, I wish I had that many chickens and buffs too! I guess we'll stick with the few cows... Very nice thanks for sharing

4. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    Well done on your coop![​IMG] That is some roost. It is eggciting to get a major project done, We are still putting touches on our little chickencoop/greenhouse. I envy the room you have for buffalo and goat. What part of Oregon do you hail from? I am in Newberg, Sw of Portland. We live in town, but want to grow as much as we can and would like to get bees next.

Rachael C mother of all

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    wow!!! talk about a FLOCK...whew...nice and love there living area...also as HUGE!!!! I love how they go in through a window [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can only imagine the long line at night!!!

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That looks extremely cool, nice job. They look pretty pleased with themselves up there on their roost.

Wow, you have buffalo!

You might consider adding some cleats crosswise on the ramp to give them a bit better footing on the way up. It looks kind of steep but maybe that's just the pic.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ummm....really envious here [​IMG]

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Yea, this is temporary but no one seems to have any problems. We figured they have to be able to get out by hopping up onto the landing, but everyone can get in.

Didn't want a ground enterance because I didn't want garter snakes making themselves cozy inside.

9. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    90 chickens?? Thats alot of eggs! Congrats on a job well done.

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    That is an awesome coop! I am very jealous! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by