We've got our first broody 'cauna hen...(?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JimnJanet, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    problem is, we know fer a fact that the eggs she's on are not fertile. Tomorrow will be day 3 fer her settin'.Question is, if i take her eggs away and not allow her to set, will this have any effect, adverse or otherwise, on her future broody times ?
    Am i messin with her hormones or any other type of "motherly" development.
    Thanx, Jim

(sure wish her eggs we're fertile [​IMG] )

2. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Well, you don't want to leave the eggs under her. They'll get gross in no time. I think you can probably take them away without harming her, maybe at night. If you don't want to upset her, you could try and replace them with fakes, again at night.

Otherwise, I've heard about people just locking them out of the henhouse to break the broodiness, if that's possible.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    It's shouldn't mess her up being broody later on. I had 4 frizzle hens who were just starting to lay go broody. I took the eggs from them trying to break them. I finally after 6 weeks let them have eggs. Well they have been broody 3 more times since the march! I sold them to a friend and she said they are going broody again. I think she will be fine maybe you can find someone to buy eggs from for her to set on. Or maybe make a trade for some fertile eggs. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by