We've got SQUATTING!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mtn Laurel, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I've had three hens for the past year but I bought them at laying age so this is my first experience with new layers. Got my five chicks when they were a day old and they're now 18 weeks. They're a mixed flock but I'm seeing the following from them -

Barred Rock Girls: Combs and wattles are getting larger every day and are bright red. They have the largest combs of all the girls. One has been squatting for the past three days. She's doing it when the larger hens get around her.
    Easter Egger: Her comb is red but hasn't grown much. She's been checking out the nesting boxes.
    Delaware: Her comb and wattles have begun to grow and they're red, just not very large. But - Good Grief - I found her singing the Egg Song this morning so well and so loud that I thought it was one of my laying hens!
    Buff Rock: Not much red on the comb or wattles but she's been investigating the nesting boxes. She's the least mature of all the girls.

I'm thinking we might be getting close to eggs with the squatting Barred Rock and am furiously trying to integrate these two mini-flocks so they're all in the same coop. They've been sharing the same run for two weeks. Today is an experiment in sharing eating space with all feeders in the main coop. Wish us luck!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Good luck!

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds close. Mine have been squating last week and got our first egg today.

Hope you don't mind the hijack but the heading suited my question too :). How long does this squating thing go on for? With our last lot we had a rooster so I didn't notice it but this new lot seem to think I'm boss chook or something and if I stand too close they squat. While it was kinda funny at first please tell me its not a permanent change????? Lol.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My three older hens had just begun laying when I got them and they continued to do the squat for a bit - not sure if weeks or months - but it eventually stopped. I don't have a roo so I guess they decided to give up!

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Oh thank goodness lol. Its sort of become embarrassing going up there. If I stand within two feet of one it starts squatting for me and I can't pat any one anymore without them thinking I'm making some sort of move on them lol

Good luck with your egg wait. Mine seemed to have been showing signs for the last month, has been driving us mad waiting so was quite exciting to see one in the nest box today and the funny skinny egg she laid. A second one was in and out a couple times but no egg so she must be close. Hopefully yours won't make you wait another month like mine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by