We've had a series of attacks...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by toejam, Jul 10, 2011.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Ok, well recently I've been losing birds left and right. About 2 months ago I lost a pair of lav. Split orps. I thought, it's a bummer, but not much I can do, since they are I with the goats. There bodies were ripped open and could see inside.

Last week, I lost my last lav split orp. Same as the last ones, body ripped open. Then a red star. Then about 4 guineas were attacked, and they perch high. However, they have no bodies left whatsoever... So I'm wonderin what's getting them.

To help, my neighbors have barn cats, I live I'm SW Ohio right up against state property. And if needed, I can post pics of one of the kills.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You need to build a secure place for your birds at night. Really , it doesn't matter what particular predator it was, because there are so many out there. Sorry you lost birds, but unless you build a good coop you are just feeding the varmints:-(

3. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    They do have a coop, basically all of the flock was in the cooped area, fence and all. The lav. Splits were with the goats to breed since we had within else as of then. The red star must of not went in after we decide to free range them that day. And some guineas were In my work-near- completed- pen for my ornamental ducks. And some were out. So they are secured well.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Well, does your run have a roof on it? Something obviously got in.

5. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    The roof will happen, eventually, just too many other things need to be completed 1st. We have started shuttin up again nothins happened since

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by