We've lost 3 BOs now, are they more Susceptible

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cherylcohen, Nov 13, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    We have 10 (now 9)[​IMG]: girls Each one is different breed. All have been vaccinated. We've lost 3 different Buff Orpingtons. One had Meraks and the last two we are not sure but the one we lost last night was breathing heavy wtih mouth open so maybe a respiratory problem. We gave her tylan but it didn't help. We're going to take her to UC Davis to diagnose cause of death. She was 19 weeks.

So to my question...All my other girls have been healthy and strong. Do Buff Orpingtons have a less strong immune system. Are they most susceptible to disease. I love Mabel so much she was so sweet. When we started getting chickens the BO was the breed I wanted most.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have never had health issues with my BOs. They are probably the most hardy flock I have here. I have retired old hens as pets because they just don't die. I guess it could be a bad strain of BOs, but I don't know. I would guess you have something going on in your flock that once identified through necropsy, you will understand the issue better. I don't think it is breed related. I am very sorry for your losses.

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Glad you have such good luck with them....I really really wanted them, my favorite...Maybe once I get this all figured out I can try another breeder. Two came one breeder but another came from a separate one.

thanks so much

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, many breeders take the vigor and health of their birds for granted. I have bought Buff Orpingtons from some of the most sought after breeders lines, only to find out their weak. Too much inbreeding. Some people will get eggs or chicks from a line of Orps cause their winning and popular. Then they breed the crap out of them and wonder why the offspring croaks. And still clinging onto the lines of the breeder just so they can make a buck. That is why I get several totally different lines and mix them. Just like any Orp project, it will take years to have a predictable line, but they'll be much more vigorous and healthy. I do this with all the variety's I carry. Hoping to avoid the let down you incurred.

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    That's sad although I can see how it happens, your orps are beautiful!

I've seen a few breeders on these pages that specifically breed orps, maybe I'll try that in the spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by