We've lost 50%...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kneit099, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kneit099

kneit099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    We just got our shipment of 26 chicks on Friday, within the first 24 hours we lost 9 chicks, temperature was perfect and we now have 13 remaining and of those 13 only 7 are strong and acting like "normal" chicks.

We live in Wisconsin, they shipped from Texas. Has anyone else experienced a problem or epidemic like we have.

We are a little on the discouraged side right now because we have done so much research to make sure we didn't have this issue.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    what kind of shavings do you have in with them, is there any draft?? the temp is correct you said, did you measure the temp from the floor of the brooder or the top, we put our thermometer on the floor to check. they really need lots of warmth, and fresh water. I hope the rest will be ok.

3. kneit099

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    They are in a large trough and we measured the temp at the floor like you mentioned.

We have wood shavings, not cedar shavings though, with a bed sheet over the top...

I'm honestly not sure why we are having issues. I am concerned that the shipment from Texas to Wisconsin was too much of a temperature change.

4. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    It sounds like they are not so healthy in general did you call where you got them and ask sometimes they know what is going on with the chicks and how to fix the problem. are these from a breeder or hatchery? good luck

5. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    Draft? they have to be draft free and the temp at a steady 95. CK for pasty butt -- medicated feed--lots of fresh water-- did ya dip their beaks in water at arrival? Hope that you find solutions soon!

6. kneit099

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    kera! :

It sounds like they are not so healthy in general did you call where you got them and ask sometimes they know what is going on with the chicks and how to fix the problem. are these from a breeder or hatchery? good luck

We did get them from the hatchery, but since it's Sunday, but are not available today.​

7. kneit099

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    Quote:Yes, they are draft free too [​IMG] I know you are not asking me but we also dipped the beaks immediately upon arrival.

8. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    for sure I would call the hatchery, they should replace the chicks, they probably were stressed from the shipping.. I live in illinois and I try to order from closer hatcheries.

9. kneit099

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    Quote:Which hatcheries have you found that do not ship out of the south? We wanted something other than just plain 'ole red,white or black. We ordered Cubalaya chicks. We did quite a bit of research and they were the only ones that actually had that bird available.

10. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    i have ordered from mcmurray, meyer, and cackle over the years and had great luck with them, I just ordered 75 chicks from mthealthy and should get them tomorrow, or tuesday....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by