we've sexed the Wyandotte chicks......hilarious

Spanishchick

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 29, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
Guess who are the two roosters out of my new 8 chicks?

Honestly, one already acts like a rooster.
That's a random chick...hen.

They say they're impossible to sex without a vent exam, I'll mark the two and see if we're right. :D

2 weeks = only two with combs
More agressive behaviour
More independant, even outside with the large chickens and rooster (they went out today......hawks were everywhere!)
Colder and sleep more (males tend to be the weaker sex at birth in humans so I suspect that's true of all living creatures.)
Stands in front of the others
Flaps its wings wildly when you block his nose
Feather development is the same in all

That's our conclusion. *A lot of that is not proven.

Here's the more agressive roo

Last edited:
Funny picture, good vulture imitation there. Be interesting to see if you are right, some chicks just seem to scream I Am A Roo from the moment they hatch.

Ya and these are my first chicks so I'm not an expert but there are some obvious personality traits. My husband has more experience and his father sexed chickens by holding their noses. Hes a cattle rancher. Although the Wyandotte is a chicken with a very strong and assured personality. That's exacty why I like this breed. The one I had was tough. She fended off a hawk and after five days died but saved the flock Haha at the vulture comment. Exactly.:lol:

Too funny! We have similarly aged Orpingtons and I'm convinced about two of ours for a lot of the same reasons. I never bother with banding, but I did with this batch cause I'm curious to see if they really were that obvious. Let's just cross our fingers that there aren't any subtler roos in the mix...

Ok let's keep track of this post and see if we're right. I think I can learn to vent check. It doesn't sound like brain surgery. ;)

Let's do!

I've been sick all week so I can't wait to go see how much mine have grown in the last few days.

I have them banded with strips of colored Velcro, the kind you use for wrapping messy indoor electrical cords, and take voice notes on my phone to track how their individual personalities unfold. I'm hoping it'll help us spot any less obvious roos, but also so I can keep the friendlier ones if we need to pass on a few to my neighbor. We received several extras for free from the breeder and I'm not convinced our coop can accommodate all of them.

I had a chick I swore up and down was a roo. It was larger than the others, bossy, had a larger comb.. and it turned into the sweetest hen I have. xD There's a reason I don't buy lottery tickets.

I got them from M&J Hatcheries and they're local so I met the owner. She can vent check but she decided not too for these. I think it was just too much for her.
I mean that is truly the only way to tell with these.
If I have extra roosters I have plenty of friends who will make a nice home out of them.
:D IMO they are too fine of a bird to go in the pot!
And yes they are a very good bird. Love this breed. They stick out like sore thumbs for hawks though.

GalloSiSupieras Hope you feel better!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom