Whale Wars .. Any one watch it ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by poultrykeeper08, Nov 14, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I was watching the New series Whale wars on animal planet . I cant belive what these people do !!! They try and stop the Japanese from whaleing (sp) The japanese say they are killing them for research but they are just killing them for the meat ! The Captain was the cofounder of green piece but was kicked out becuase he was more into threatning them then just saying stop the kiling . He said that green peace doesnt do much for the stoping of the whaleing except for taking pictures .

On the episode i watched the crew had 2 of the crew members jump onto one of the Japanese Ships and then the Japanese kidnaped them . Can you belive it . I think the goverment needs to stop whaleing !!!! Just for meat if its for research i gues it needs to be done

What do you guys think ?????

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I used to work for Protected Resources with the National Marine Fisheries Service. The research the Japanese are doing is just to catalog the stomach contents and little else. Not any new or useful information. Marine resources, in general, are just about gone. We have fished out the north Pacific, the Caribbean, and are just about done with the Pacific. Most of the fish in the super markets were deemed trash fish 25 years ago. There used to be groupers in the Florida Keys the size of Volkswagons. I had a professor, who happened to be ~5' tall, talk about groupers considering her for a meal when she was SCUBA diving. Now, if you catch an 85lb grouper, it makes the papers. My point is, we need to re-think how we use our resources, including whales. They are running out.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I watched it tonight too and I thought those guys were a bunch of buffoons. I think their beliefs overtook good sense, and they accomplished nothing. I agree that killing whales is wrong, because I am an animal lover, but those guys need a cure for cranial rectisitus.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I'am a bit confused, they said they were killing them for research but were using it for meat? I watched a video about them killing dolphins and I think it was illegal for them to do that. I think that all commercial fishing needs to be slowed down a lot. Sometimes I wish we would run out of food or something horrible to happen because some people are gluttons and over consume.

5. debilorrah

Whale meat and dolphin meat are considered delicacies in Japan, and they bring a hefty price in restaurant that cater to the rich. That is why they do it. doesn't make it right, but it explains why they do it.

6. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    Quote:I agree, these people are a mess. How hard do you think it must be to get kicked out of Greenpeace when you are the founder (or so he claims). The one episode I watched they nicked one of the rotor blades on their helicopter and were advised to go ahead and fly it and see what happens!!!! Good luck with that!!!

7. debilorrah

Yeah, like I said buffoons. they also overturned a kodiak in about 10 seconds. Not the brightest bulbs in the marquis.

8. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    They may be bafoons but they are trying to help sve the whales so i give them credit . They do some dangerouse stuff but think about the good they are doing for the whales .

Would you risk your life to save a whale ??They would

9. debilorrah

I just think that if they are making a TV show out of it, they needed to be better prepared for their mission. I don't even talk about that other organization I am pretty sure we could get locked if we continue to mention them, but yeah, like I said, their purpose is honorable, but for TV watching? Get your program together before you do it!

10. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    oh i dont want to get locked lol SORRY MODS

but i do agree the guy that had the roap with the boat tied to it really screwed up and then said OH its wasnt my fault lol Kinda was

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by