Whart Breeds Have I Got??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shell25, Sep 18, 2010.

1. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Hi All,

Im new to the whole chicken thing and have recently got our first 3 chickens they are approx 6-7 weeks old, and im not sure what breeds we have i have tried searching google to find out with no such look so im hoping you may be able to shed abit of light.

1 is black speckeled which i think maybe a Barred Rock or Dominique??

1 is various pale cream colours??

1 is jet black??

I would really appreciate your help and advice.

Also what age is it safe to give them the odd piece of fruit/veg.

[​IMG] Michelle

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG] I hope that you'll love it here as much as I do!

If you have any pictures, that would help us try to figure out what breeds they are. Here's how to post them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Where
    did you get them from? What color are the legs and underside of the feet of the three?

Edited to add: They should be old enough to have treats, I think. They do need to have access to grit, however, if you give them anything other than their normal chick feed. You can get pet bird grit from Wal•Mart or your pet store - just make sure it doesn't have added calcium (not good for growing chicks). If your local feed store carries chick grit, then that's good, too (mine doesn't).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    [​IMG]

Im not sure if ive uploaded the picture right??

Michelle [​IMG]

4. Anjeey

Anjeey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Yeah the picture is there, but the actual chickens are very difficult to make out. Maybe try and get one inside the run so we have an unobstructed view...? I could maybe take a guess that the black one is an Australorp? The speckled one looks like a Barred rock from here...but it really is hard to tell.

5. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    [​IMG]

I have this picture also i will try and get a clearer picture tomorrow. What age would you guess they are.

Thanks Michelle [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Looks like a barred rock, a black austrolorp and maybe a splash Orpington. Are they all supposed to be hens, because the black looks like a roo in the pic.

7. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    [​IMG] Oooh dont say that yes they are all meant to be hens we presume he was a little older we have tried the torch test n they all were the same any other suggestions?? lol

Thanks Michelle [​IMG]

8. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    The pic is hard to make out and if you had a close up I could tell better. I have never heard of the torch test, what is that?

9. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Thanks, i will get better pics tomorrow, apparantly u shine a torch arround the neck and a hens feathers wont reflect but a roo's will, just something i found out on ebay, weve only had them 2 days so its all pretty new at the moment but we def dont want a roo!! lol

10. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Hmmm. I have never heard of that. Sounds like it would work, but again I would not totally trust it. Once you raise chickens you can usually spot a roo with the best of them. I have been fooled a few times and some I never know until they crow or lay an egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by