What’s normal for a ducks back toes?

Kerya

Songster
Nov 1, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello,
This is my first thread here and I’d like to say that I’m new to ducks and any poultry in general.
My duck is a female mallard, about 5 and a half months old.

Today I noticed her feet look a bit strange, her back toes in particular seem to be a bit longer, dryer and curve inwards?
I’m just wondering if I should be worried. (She lets me touch her feet and seems to be in no pain).

I’m not sure if it helps, but about 2 weeks ago we trimmed her nails. Molly also gets baths every day and for as long she wants.
I included a picture of her feet after a bath and with Vaseline all over, and little feathers + ducky dandruff. Her feet have been the most dry ever today.
Hopefully this helps, thank you!

Attachments

• C267E512-D798-400E-8A12-B59F38586C39.jpeg
    C267E512-D798-400E-8A12-B59F38586C39.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 23
Hello Kerya and welcome to :welcome The rear toes sound normal to me and nothing to worry about. A ducks feet are similar to a persons hand and can get dried out also, so it does help to keep them moisturized. Best of luck. :)

The rear toe, or called "Hallux", sometimes has an angulation to it, and will point inwards like your bird, which is nothing to be concerned of. In regards to the flaking, most often you're going to see that when birds are being housed in a drier environment. I see it in the summer as well, but most often in the winter when the humidity is lower. If you're seeing excessive shedding from the feet, it could be hypovitaminosis A, where the bird is lacking A vitamins and can develop hyperkeratosis, which developed by excessive keratin formation on the dermal surface.

If your duck is being housed in, make sure she's getting in water daily, getting some source of greens, and if your house is pretty dry, consider adding a few plants, or a humidifier.

The rear toe, or called "Hallux", sometimes has an angulation to it, and will point inwards like your bird, which is nothing to be concerned of. In regards to the flaking, most often you're going to see that when birds are being housed in a drier environment. I see it in the summer as well, but most often in the winter when the humidity is lower. If you're seeing excessive shedding from the feet, it could be hypovitaminosis A, where the bird is lacking A vitamins and can develop hyperkeratosis, which developed by excessive keratin formation on the dermal surface.

If your duck is being housed in, make sure she's getting in water daily, getting some source of greens, and if your house is pretty dry, consider adding a few plants, or a humidifier.

Ahh, okay! Thank you so much, I just wasn’t sure since they seemed to point backwards until now.
I didn’t realize our house might be dryer, so I’ll definitely be getting a humidifier and some vitamin A!
She does also get quite a few greens so now I know, thanks again! I appreciate it 😁

Back
Top Bottom