What’s wrong with this hen??!!

Crazyabouthens

Songster
Jun 9, 2021
United Kingdom
Hello. A rescue hen of mine that I have had now for over a year, hasn’t been acting herself recently. She is puffed up, hides and doesn’t want to eat much. ( and her bum is very poopy) I have been isolating her, but She still wants to get up and go out of the coop. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to make her feel better, or get her to eat? I still have hope in her that she can get better,please help!!
FF36EA45-A01C-48CE-B799-6F1C56E8FBE3.jpeg
65FE505C-6698-4AD1-8980-A3E98FFD6BDF.jpeg
CEDC09A4-2658-4981-B0D8-03EF6A31F129.jpeg

Hello. A rescue hen of mine that I have had now for over a year, hasn’t been acting herself recently. She is puffed up, hides and doesn’t want to eat much. ( and her bum is very poopy) I have been isolating her, but She still wants to get up and go out of the coop. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to make her feel better, or get her to eat? I still have hope in her that she can get better,please help!! View attachment 2787755View attachment 2787762 View attachment 2787736
I'd start by washing her rear end, be sure that the vent is clear. Also feel her crop and then tell me how it feels.

Hello. A rescue hen of mine that I have had now for over a year, hasn’t been acting herself recently. She is puffed up, hides and doesn’t want to eat much. ( and her bum is very poopy) I have been isolating her, but She still wants to get up and go out of the coop. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to make her feel better, or get her to eat? I still have hope in her that she can get better,please help!! View attachment 2787755View attachment 2787762 View attachment 2787736
Also while you're washing her bum, check if she's got any swelling between her legs at the lowest part of the abdomen. It could feel like free flowing fluid or tight as a drum. If in doubt check one of her flockmates for comparison- ascities (waterbelly) can be a result of an ongoing reproductive issue or a sign of organ failure. The fluid- if it's there- can be drained to make her more comfortable and it may help perk her up.

Also while you're washing her bum, check if she's got any swelling between her legs at the lowest part of the abdomen. It could feel like free flowing fluid or tight as a drum. If in doubt check one of her flockmates for comparison- ascities (waterbelly) can be a result of an ongoing reproductive issue or a sign of organ failure. The fluid- if it's there- can be drained to make her more comfortable and it may help perk her up.
Ok so there’s no swelling between her legs, and her abdomen and below that feels soft and squishy, but I felt one of her flock mates and she felt like that too

Ok so there’s no swelling between her legs, and her abdomen and below that feels soft and squishy, but I felt one of her flock mates and she felt like that too
Okay, her abdomen feels fine? Try checking for mites near her poopy area, since they seems to congregate around messy birds. I had a bird who was acting the same as yours and she was swarming with mites. Unfortunately, we caught her at the wrong time and Chickidee died. But don't worry about your bird, you seem do be doing a great job!

OK good! That's one thing to mark off the list. Look for moving little things like mites or lice. Also check her crop. The green color from the poop on the back end is very green which can indicate she's not eating all that much.

The first thing to do is have her in a spot overnight where she doesn't have food or water once it's dark -- only pull the food and water while it's dark!!! - and check her first thing in the AM to see if her crop feels empty and flat, or if it still has contents. There should ideally be poop on the ground and a nice empty crop in the morning. Return food/water in the morning after you've done your check and let us know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom