What’s a good Dust Bath material?

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
This week I’m going to be putting in some recycled tires for dust bathes. Three truck tires and a car tire, I painted and washed them. I was thinking of picking up Play Sand for the chickens to dust bathe in, but I wanted to know if that’s a good material/ what should I mix in with it? Is there something better to use?

Before you suggest DE I will NOT be using it in dust bathes and neither should you!

I've had good experience with play sand, which I mix with some fire wood ash from our fire pit and some garden soil. I agree on the DE.
We had our first frost last night, and I pulled some plants out before they died. That’s a good amount of garden soil to use!

we will be getting the fire pit out very soon, I’ve heard people use ash like you say, I’ll be sure to have a fire soon!

Mine love their contractor's sand. I also love it as I take a little shovel and sift through it to clean. However, mine also LOVE mulch in the flower beds. Worth considering.

I agree somewhat about not using DE. I think First Saturday Lime is much safer. @CHlCKEN (lol, remembered to tag you with an L)

Last edited:
We don't "make" dust baths for the birds. They dig holes where they want, whether in the previous fire pit or in the garden or in the middle of the yard. Our ground is basically beach sand, so I think sand would work.

Same here.

I'm in the NC Sandhills area and find that sometimes the chickens like the drier, sandier places while other times they like the moister places where there is more decayed pine straw mixed in.

I use sand, dirt and peat in my girls bath. They do love it, but also make so many holes around the chicken yard you really have to watch your step.
Hens in the bath.jpg
Margaret and Opal enjoying the dustbath (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom