What’s a recommended egg laying breed?

_Rubyrebel_

Hatching
Apr 30, 2020
Calgary Alberta
I’m getting ready to get my first flock of chickens for the purpose of egg laying. Where I live the climate is hot in the summer and can get really cold in the winter. I’m looking for a hardy,docile breed that lays well. Any suggestions? My family had chickens and I have some experience raising chickens.

Rhode island reds are some great chickens we've had some really good experience with them. We got some golden sex links last year and they have been some great layers, white leghorns, and buff orpingtons are good too. We went out on a limb last year and got some blue sapphires because they are said to be really good layers, so far we haven't had any problems.

Let's see, I have two four year old buff brahmas still going strong, laying 3-5 a week! Other than them, my barred plymouth rock and welsummer lay 5-6 eggs a week, but I can't speak for time because they are only a year old. All of those birds lay large eggs. Second to them, but easter eggers lay 4-5 a week and are good size. My partridge penedesenca lays 4-5 a week but they are smaller. A lovely color though! The exchequer leghorn lays the smallest eggs and maybe 3-5 a week. The black cochin is beautiful and docile, but at 3 and 4 years old (she was 3 when I got her) she lays medium eggs 1-2x a week and quits when it gets hotter than 85 so I get maybe a month a year of laying from her.

Rhode island reds are some great chickens we've had some really good experience with them. We got some golden sex links last year and they have been some great layers, white leghorns, and buff orpingtons are good too. We went out on a limb last year and got some blue sapphires because they are said to be really good layers, so far we haven't had any problems.
How well behaved have your Rhode Island Red been? I don’t wanna have grumpy chickens :D

How well behaved have your Rhode Island Red been? I don’t wanna have grumpy chickens :D
We had one named Ruby😂 and she was a very sweet girl she would come to the back door and knock until we came out, then she would take us to her egg. And we had Old Red and she was a tough girl, she was at the head of the pecking order, she wasnt the cuddle type. So they have some personalities. Our latest Rhode island red is very timid she doesnt cause much fuss. Sadly Ruby and Old Red have been gone for a few years😢

I’m getting ready to get my first flock of chickens for the purpose of egg laying. Where I live the climate is hot in the summer and can get really cold in the winter. I’m looking for a hardy,docile breed that lays well. Any suggestions? My family had chickens and I have some experience raising chickens.
Definitely gold comets/ isa brown/ cinnamon queen. . They are somewhat skittish, depends on the bird. Rhode Island Red, mine are skittish. I am Chicago suburbs and have both in harsh climates.

Back
Top Bottom