What’s best to sprout

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
I wanted to set up a few trays for spouting.
We have a few hundred pounds of organic hard white wheat berries.

Is that good enough or should I sprout them something else?
I was going to call my feed store in the am and see if they have seeds for this purpose like clover and alfalfa or something better. Don’t want spendy With this fabulous recession on our doorstep. I also have pounds of herbs Seeds.

I just picked the last of our parsley and oregano and have kept it in the pantry, but it won’t last more than a week
, and 5 degrees this weekend so the garden will be caput and they enjoy some greens daily if I can do it. Why not plus we can salad grab ourselves.

Our carrot tops wilted then froze kinda quick which was a bummer. I was hoping to use those for a week or two.

Also I have this dumb little kit pictured We brought years ago. It’s tiny. I want to do larger trays I have 20 ladies. I will check threads here — I’ve seen the towers Im not going that all out Plus it’s winter here now, no space to dedicate.

Think 11 x 8 rubbermaid storage containers with lids on the dryer. 🤓 Maybe like 4 of them to rotate it can be my daughters chore. I have legos in 12 of them now I can just dump them and grab them!

Any recs on the blend appreciated or any other tips.

We sprouted a few years ago I recall not to keep them too wet or they fail . . .
52B88C3F-BA01-4A5F-BCFC-E5FA3001774D.jpeg

If I was in your position,, I would sprout whatever I had on hand. Try with the small trays in your kit first. Them evaluate your effort, and decide what to do next. (increase size and number of trays,, or try different seeds)
Don't worry that your chickens will be without greens for a while. It wont hurt their feelings :gig
Another thing you may consider,,, is a cabbage head hanging on a rope. Cabbage is not over expensive, and a head will last quite a while. Ask produce manager at your supermarket for other last chance greens ,, that they throw away. Tell them it is for your chickens. Don't feed any citrus fruit.
The cabbage head will keep chickens busy also.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Hard wheat is one of the better grains to sprout. That said, its still a grain, and they only get you far. If you are looking to suppliment your chickens nutritionally, as opposed to provide them some interest/behavioural enrichment, then the first question to ask is what your feed is weak on, then seek out things strong in the desired component.

For just generalized interest (not as a specific nutritional suppliment), you can look at the cover crop mixes. They usually have something tall (wheat, rye, triticale) which provides vertical support, some low lying nitrogen fixers like clovers, some sort of radish, and some vining or climbing legume types - winter peas, vetch, etc. Sometimes a broad leaf mustard type as well.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with barley, and abysmal failure with chia. (How do they get those chia heads to sprout greens??)

For sprouts for people food (sandwiches and salads), alfalfa has always been easy. I bet the chickens would like it too. I do those in a quart jar, so no special equipment needed. One tablespoon of seeds will grow into a quart of sprouts.

I should add that growing sprouts for my chickens is to give them something green in the cold months. It's more for the entertainment factor (theirs and mine, from watching them) than any nutrition goal.

Thanks for the great responses.

Just looking for boredom buster and they have enjoyed the fresh herbs they have been getting from all summer and fall pull. I realize they probably don’t need it really. But fresh parsley basil purslane and oregano everyday? Tasty!

I keep things as simple here as possible I don’t want crop issues and have basically tried to avoid things That may cause problems I dont want to deal with, know how to correct or recognize being I’m new.

I will think about it. 👍

Thanks for the great responses.

Just looking for boredom buster and they have enjoyed the fresh herbs they have been getting from all summer and fall pull. I realize they probably don’t need it really. But fresh parsley basil purslane and oregano everyday? Tasty!

I keep things as simple here as possible I don’t want crop issues and have basically tried to avoid things That may cause problems I dont want to deal with, know how to correct or recognize being I’m new.

I will think about it. 👍
As a boredom buster, you have the right idea and the right approach.

In the longer term, mint family plants are very hearty, and do well in deep trays,and you can take near spent planting and move to a fresh tray and start all over. Whether thw chickens will eat it or not? No guarantees

I grow fodder as snacks for my girls: red wheat berries, barley, wheatgrass & alfalfa. I put the alfalfa in with another item & it works well. When feeding I cut them into shorter pieces and I cut up the roots as well. I also sprout Mung beans & black oil sunflower seeds.

I grow everything in metal trays with no soil. I spray daily with a mister. They are in front of my basement walkout window.

Not a lot of work but a great benefit.
My best to you!!

I grow fodder as snacks for my girls: red wheat berries, barley, wheatgrass & alfalfa. I put the alfalfa in with another item & it works well. When feeding I cut them into shorter pieces and I cut up the roots as well. I also sprout Mung beans & black oil sunflower seeds.

I grow everything in metal trays with no soil. I spray daily with a mister. They are in front of my basement walkout window.

Not a lot of work but a great benefit.
My best to you!!
:welcome @MamaHen1226! I would just like to let you know the last post on this thread was a year ago. If you would like to introduce yourself here we would be happy to give you a proper welcome! :frow

Back
Top Bottom