What’s the earliest you’ve had chicks hatch?

BallsEleven

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
South Louisiana
I put eggs under a broody hen on July 26th.

I expected them to hatched early this week but went out to check and saw one egg with a hole in it and could hear peeping. I can see black (australorps) also. It seems a little early for them to start though.

The hen recently moved all the eggs (twice) from the nest box into the main coop area so I’m wondering if she cracked one in the process and it wasn’t actually ready.

Edit: I went back out to grab a picture for my wife and in the picture realized a second one is hatching.

Well if my math is right it was day 19 as well. Overnight 2 hatched with a 3rd breaking through the shell. I can hear the 4th peeping in the egg so that one should be a long soon.

Probably the strangest part about it all is that my 5th egg disappeared. Both me and the wife saw it Saturday but was gone Sunday. I looked thoroughly through all the bedding in the coop and found nothing.

I set my eggs on the 28th and have 4 pips right now. I noticed the first 3 pips around 3pm when I got out of work and looked. It is now 8:30pm........ waiting for some more progress.

Back
Top Bottom