What’s up with Ruth’s eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheYLWFlock, Sep 24, 2018.

1. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    So I’m not sure how long chickens go in between laying eggs, or what is a safe maximum time without laying eggs, but Ruth our 24 week old Jersey Giant has not laid since Friday. She’s acting completely normal, she just hasn’t laid any eggs. I checked for Egg Binding but didn’t feel anything (although I only went in about 1.5”) and she is acting completely normal. No waddling around or strange behavior... we also checked around the coop/run and the free range pen but no hidden egg nests. She is still relatively new (she’s only started within the last month) so is this normal? When should I get concerned about her?
    Let me know!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's perfectly normal to get a first egg than nothing for a while. If she's acting fine I wouldn't worry.

3. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Well it’s not her first egg, she’s had quite a few, like 10-15, but yes she’s acting totally normal so hopefully everything will be ok!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well than it's normal for them to take breaks after laying for a bit. Especially dual purpose breeds.

Flockandfowl46 and TheYLWFlock like this.
  5. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Ok sounds good! When should we start getting worried about her? It’s been about 3 1/2 days since she last gave us an egg.

Flockandfowl46 likes this.
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some of mine lay for a few weeks, than quit for a few weeks. Others lay a few eggs consistently throughout the week. You will have to see what type of pattern she follows.

TheYLWFlock likes this.
  7. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Awesome thanks! We’ll just have to wait and see!

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: