What’s wrong with my flock of chickens??!!

Slickchick201

Hatching
Aug 2, 2021
Halifax, NS
i have recently just lost one of my 1 month old chicks yesterday and I’m starting to see what I seen in the one that had passed away yesterday. They are very tired and look like their sleeping standing up. The one that passed away was doing the same thing but worse. She would rarely open her eyes even if the other ones bumped into her she would still have her eyes shut. They are pooping blood and I am very worried. I do not know what is wrong with them!! I have separated the little baby’s from the bigger ones which are 2 and a half months to 3 months old but the older ones are pooping blood too. I research some stuff and I kind of thought it would be Coccidiosis but I’m not quite sure… should I be giving them something??? I need help!!

I have also not gave them medicated chick starter when they were born, they were eating Game bird feed for a little while then just 3 weeks ago we started giving them medicated chick starter. I also read to put some apple cider vinegar in their water, so I did that and it seems that the other little chick that looked very sick as the one did yesterday has gotten a little more active

Get Corid and treat the entire flock with the Corid water. That should be the only type of water availble during treatment. Do not add anything else to the water or anything extra to the feed (no vitamins).

Dosages are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

If any bird is so lethargic that it isn't drinking on its own, you will need to put some of the Corid water in a syringe and carefully dose them by hand (be careful not to aspirate, I aim for the lower beak and drip liquids onto it for the bird to swallow so it does not choke).

Get Corid and treat the entire flock with the Corid water. That should be the only type of water availble during treatment. Do not add anything else to the water or anything extra to the feed (no vitamins).

Dosages are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

If any bird is so lethargic that it isn't drinking on its own, you will need to put some of the Corid water in a syringe and carefully dose them by hand (be careful not to aspirate, I aim for the lower beak and drip liquids onto it for the bird to swallow so it does not choke).
Okay yes, thank you. I have been reading about Corid and trying to see where I can get it but it seems I can’t find any around where I live. I thought to try amazon but it doesn’t come in for awhile and that will be to late! I am talking to a vet, they said they will call me back. Do you think they might have it?

around where I live
Where do you live?
No tractor supply or similar 'farm' store there?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632412632947.png

Where do you live?

View attachment 2843707
Where do you live?

View attachment 2843707
I live in Canada. Halifax, NS

I live in Canada. Halifax, NS
I don't know if Corid is available in Canada, but what you're looking for is amprolium or some sort of coccidiostat. Depending on your vet (livestock vet would be the best bet for this) or available feed stores the product may be marketed for use for other animals such as cattle, however it can be diluted down to use on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom