What’s wrong with my newborn chick???!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alltheeggs, Apr 3, 2018.

1. alltheeggs

alltheeggs In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    I noticed that my chick was making clicking noises when it tried to breathe or peep. It seemed to have trouble peeping and when it would peep it was very faint. He seemed to be having a really tough time breaking out of his shell so I helped him out. I also noticed he was very weak and seemed to be having trouble getting out of his shell. Once I helped him out I noticed he had a really swollen naval and it was a yellowish purple color. It also appeared to have discharge coming from it. Later I also noticed that the back of his head seemed to have air or liquid in it. He doesn’t stretch out or anything he stays curled up and he can’t walk. Was he born prematurely? Or is it something else? I need to know ASAP please!! I want him to live so badly.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not an expert on hatching chicks. Until someone else comes along, I will offer a couple of points. It sounds like your chick may have a leaking air sac near it’s head. It also sounds as though it may have mushy chick disease, an infection in the umbilicus. They usually die from this, if that is what it has. The clicking can be related to the leaking air sac. I had a chick that was 2 weeks old and had a huge leak on it’s side, and it had clicking with breathing. I really hope someone with more experience helps you.

3. alltheeggs

alltheeggs In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2015

Thank you so much! How do I prevent it next time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: