What’s wrong with my rooster

Chicken37

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Near Austin TX
We have a 2 year old rooster named randy who is and always has been at the bottom of the pecking order and it had gotten so bad that we had to clip the roosters wings and separate them.somehow all the roosters got out of there area except for randy, we started to notice that randy could have simply jumped out but instead stayed in the goat pen.we figured that he was just happier in the goat pen because he was the only rooster, but we realized that he was slowly becoming very depressed. We were planning to keep him in there until we found a new home for some of our other roosters so there would be less fighting, but recently we noticed that he wasn’t moving around much, he was leaning to the right, and something was obviously wrong. We did some research and learned about bumble foot and figured we should check his feet just in case, and sure enough he had very bad bumble foot and he was also incredibly light. We had learned that the procedure to fix it wasn’t to difficult to do so we went to the feed store to get the supplies, when we got home we took a look at him and did the “ surgery”. Everything went well but we did realize a few more things that definitely weren’t good, so now we have a rooster that can barely walk, whenever he tries to eat something he misses, and he still leans to the side. I honestly have no idea what to do now, does anyone have some tips.

Can you post some photos? Of Randy, his foot, poop, etc.?

What does he eat, including treats?

Check him over for lice/mites, work on hydration then eating. His normal poultry feed is probably fine, but give him some extra protein daily like egg, fish or meat. Poultry vitamins may be helpful for a few days. Poultry Cell is a good choice. See that his crop is emptying overnight. Has he been dewormed?

Do you have any pictures of him or his bad foot? As you know roosters fight, and it is best to only keep one, unless you have a very large flock. He may have been kept from food and water since he was low in pecking order. Mareks disease or an injury might also be possible. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who could have been a carrier?

Can you post some photos? Of Randy, his foot, poop, etc.?

What does he eat, including treats?

Check him over for lice/mites, work on hydration then eating. His normal poultry feed is probably fine, but give him some extra protein daily like egg, fish or meat. Poultry vitamins may be helpful for a few days. Poultry Cell is a good choice. See that his crop is emptying overnight. Has he been dewormed?
Unfortunately we already wrapped up his foot and we don’t want to put anymore stress on him than what we already have but I’ll get you pictures tomorrow, he did/does have a lice problem that we are working on now, we have been watching his eating but he still can’t really get anything in his mouth unless it is something large enough so he doesn’t have to aim.
3CFE8B12-AB7A-44DB-A513-636207A1F5DA.jpeg

Do you have any pictures of him or his bad foot? As you know roosters fight, and it is best to only keep one, unless you have a very large flock. He may have been kept from food and water since he was low in pecking order. Mareks disease or an injury might also be possible. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who could have been a carrier?

We have about 30 hens and 5 roosters( I know I know ) we are working on finding some of them a new home right now( If your interested let me know) but we haven’t added any new hens to the flock in a few months but who knows how long he’s been like this.

What kind of feed are you feeding him?
I would offer the feed wet, put it in a brightly colored bowl set on a block or piece of wood so he doesn't have to bend over much.

His pecking aim is off - can we see photos of both his eyes?
I'd get 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex into him daily. A treat of scrambled eggs will help with the uptake of E.

What are you using to get rid of the lice?
Check him over really well for more bugs, look at his oil gland is it inflamed, is his crop emptying, is his vent pasted over?
Photos of poop may be helpful too.

I would offer the feed wet, put it in a brightly colored bowl set on a block or piece of wood so he doesn't have to bend over much.

I'd get 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex into him daily. A treat of scrambled eggs will help with the uptake of E.

Check him over really well for more bugs, look at his oil gland is it inflamed, is his crop emptying, is his vent pasted over?
91F2098D-ADE9-4169-8D9C-30B5620583B5.jpeg
A6DCAB00-6E9C-49C8-A0CD-2D03167998AF.jpeg

D94CE4E4-989E-4772-804D-B29901D33CF5.jpeg

Thank you for answering the questions.

I would focus on getting him hydrated and eating. Get rid of the lice/mites, use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust.
Vitamins for several weeks as posted above.
Keep treating the foot, keeping it clean and wrapped. Check it daily. Keep him on clean dry bedding.

Hopefully he will recover soon.

Back
Top Bottom