What’s wrong with my turkey!?

GooseHerder

Goose and Chicken Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2017
C18EFD94-26D5-48AA-A991-1CDD17211236.jpeg
I went down to the barn today and saw that my 8 month old Royal Palm was lethargic, shivering, and his head has scabs all over it and his caruncles are swollen. I offered him food and he ate about three bites and then quit. Anybody know what’s going on?
B2EE533D-A866-4758-BA1E-39326E22E936.jpeg

Where do you live? It doesn't look like pox, though I guess it could be. Is it cold where you live? I ask because it looks like possibly frostbite. If not frostbite or pox, it looks like peck wounds.

We live in Arkansas, so it’s not freezing however it has been raining the past two days. And I thought that it could be peck wounds too but he is acting very lethargic and drowsy.

We live in Arkansas, so it’s not freezing however it has been raining the past two days. And I thought that it could be peck wounds too but he is acting very lethargic and drowsy.
Many times when one is sick the other flock members will pick on them, so it's possible that's what you're seeing.

IMO, next step would be to figure out what's making hin ill. How you proceed and treat depends on what your plans for him are, and what I ean by that is is he a pet or is he to be butchered?

40521FF6-4B13-412D-8225-E4CFCB6A2B51.jpeg
He is most definitely our pet. Also I took a closer up picture of his head to show you more of what it looks like.

Is a vet an option?

Either way, may I suggest that you bring him inside, or put him someplace that's warm? It would also be helpful to see some poop pictures.

I think vet is an option. I haven’t been able to get a poop sample because he lives with others so I wasn’t able to differentiate between his and others. But I’ve gotten him inside under a lamp.

View attachment 1616168 I went down to the barn today and saw that my 8 month old Royal Palm was lethargic, shivering, and his head has scabs all over it and his caruncles are swollen. I offered him food and he ate about three bites and then quit. Anybody know what’s going on?View attachment 1616170
It looks like your tom took a severe beating. It is common in such cases for the defeated tom to suffer from depression. He really is acting exactly like they do when they get beaten severely. Make sure he has fresh water and keep him separate from the other turkeys so they don't continue the beating. Hopefully he will start eating in a few days. Sometimes their depression gets bad enough that they just lie down and die.

A vet really would be best. Since it's Friday evening, see what you can do to get him in to see a vet tomorrow morning.

Okay. Thank y’all so much for helping. We will call around in the morning to see if anyone will look at him. Also, here is the poop picture I got since he finally went. He is our favorite Tom and hope he gets better soon. Should we put a hen in with him so he shouldn’t get lonely?
1B1CEFBA-590D-480C-A867-F91B1864FFD4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom