what’s wrong with this egg?

Soleil_A

Songster
Oct 24, 2017
White lake, Michigan. (Or detroit)
hello chicken lovers!

so this morning around 7 i went and checked in the girls.. and saw these two eggs. I only have two laying now. what happened to these eggs? should i be worries? they did lay yesterday but i haven’t got anything yet today.
66436352-32B9-412C-9D92-B6EF15C87BC7.jpeg
FDD28F75-F9C3-4738-BAC2-9FE3FF5B73EB.png

also, i live in a subdivision where the neighbors are pretty cranky and my chickens have been pretty loud. they just started laying about 1/2 a week ago. will they be quieter as they age? they usually lay in the nesting boxes but they didn’t this time. thanks!

it’s really cold here so no they were frozen. i am just feeding them layer crumbles, scratch, oyster shells, grit, and scraps. and about half a week.
What is the protein level? How many scraps do you feed?
Usually layer feed is avoided because it lacks the adequate protein levels layers should be getting. It is also semi-toxic to any bird that's not laying. I would suggest you provide a side of free-choice oyster shell and grit, and switch your flock to an 18-22% feed, preferably all-flock or grower feed. Then, I would hold back on the scraps. Scraps should not make up more than 10% of all feed given- this goes for all treats. Veggies and scratch count as treats. Those things don't have good nutrient content. Veggies in particular are mostly water content.

I don't remember quite where I read it, but the amount of salt in their diet may have something to do with it.

You mentioned that it was cold enough for the egg remnants to freeze--if your chickens aren't feeling well, bronchitis has also been linked to lower egg production and thin/shell-less eggs.

Back
Top Bottom