What a bad week with my Anatolians

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
This is more of a vent than anything right now since it's over for now... but I just really want to share it. Even if it does embarass me because of my dogs behavior.

I guess it really started about 2 weeks ago. My male Anatolian, Zeus, killed one of my guineas. A few days later, he killed one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes. A few days after that he killed another guinea. I've racked my brain trying to figure out what has caused him to suddenly start doing this. So I started watching him and his sister closer than I have in a long time. Both dogs are from the same litter and will be 3 in January. They live in their own field right now due to some changes at our house with fencing, etc. We kept the dogs in the field with the barn and the horses and chickens/guineas are in other fields or free ranging. The chickens have not been kept in this barn yet because I don't have it set up for them. They are still in the chicken house up closer to our house. So anyway - the chickens/guineas apparently are going through the gate to the dogs field for whatever reason. Zeus has never bothered them before. So I watched and waited to see what was causing this sudden change in behavior. His sister, Naciye, is not letting him eat! He was killing and eating the chickens/guineas because he's hungry!!! I feel like such a horrible mom! So now I've figured that out, I can fix it.

Just a side note so that you have background on what is going on around our house. Our back fence line backs up to 2 properties that NO ONE is ever on. One part of it is owned by an old guy that I would love to buy, but he won't budge on his price and I''m not paying it. The other part is owned by someone in Colorado who bought it about 7 years ago, tore up a bunch of other people's property claiming it was his and all those people basically ran him out. Just one day he was gone and no one heard anything. That was 6 years ago when he left. So about 2 months ago he shows back up. Sold everything they owned in CO and are living on this acreage in a camper. Planning and Zoning are all over him for things that he is doing, cops have been back there more times than I can count. He's a real PITA. I've haven't called anyone on him because everyone else is taking care of that! lol. So anyway - apparently he has been harassing my dogs through the fence. Taking his dogs up to the fence to try and get my dogs to like them or whatever his thought process is, throwing things at the fence, banging on it, etc etc. Basically being threatening towards my dogs. This is NOT a good idea with Anatolians. So we confront him about this. He claims that he is some type of Cesar Milan and our dogs mind him. He says that they sit, lay down, come when he calls them, and be quiet when he tells them too. YEAH RIGHT! The dogs don't come when you call them! They only mind us maybe 1/2 the time. But that's an Anatolian for you! We know that and understand it. We got them to protect our animals and property. Not to be robots. It takes them weeks of being around a new person with us before they will accept them and they certainly won't do it when we aren't there! So anyway - I called the PD as just an FYI on what this guy was doing and that if they got out of their fence because of him I can't say for sure what would happen, but just wanted to let them know.

So onward with the saga...

Saturday we were gone all day helping my parents. Get a phone call from my work that one of neighbors up the road called looking for me because my horses and the dogs were running loose!! WTH??? So I called my closest neighbor who can catch the dogs and she gets the dogs back in their field, no sign of the horses. We get home 40 mins later and the dogs are out again! Neighbor down the road comes over because she saw us home. Apparently our dogs attacked her dog. Sigh. So I immediately ran to her house because she said her dog was alive and she didn't know what to do. The poor little dog was obviously in shock and in pain. There were no external wounds that I could see and being that his fur is white - it's pretty easy to tell. His ribs were broken, possibly his back or neck. I told the neighbor that if she wanted to take the dog to the emergency clinic that I would absolutely pay for it and that I would respect whatever decision they choose to make. But that I would do whatever neccesary on my part to make this right. This neighbor and us get along really well. I am SO glad for that! I left and went looking for the horses while DH checked the horses' fenceline to see where they got out. He called me and tells me they broke through the fence and 3 lines of electric (with 2 joules running through it). what?!?!? What happened here today?!?!?!? I find the horses 1/2 mile down the road and 300 acres back from the road. They are fine, I know the owners of the property so I shut the gate and left them there. Got home, DH said the neighbor came over to let us know that they decided to put the dog down themselves and then asked him if he knew where I was because she wanted to come help me look for the horses. I couldn't believe it! After my dogs caused her dog's death, she still wanted to come help me! What a heart! So anyway - she did say that when she saw our dogs out, she put hers up in the house. Apparently her 3 year old son came out and let the one little dog out with him. Well this little dog in particular has a habit of running into our horse field that is by their house and if there is anything going on at my house will stand there and bark. He's harmless and I never much cared that he did it. I guess that's precisely what he did and our dogs saw him and went tearing off acrossed the field and caught the dog. As soon as one of them grabbed him, he obviously yelped - my neighbor yelled at my dogs and they immediately dropped him, stood there a minute and looked at the dog, looked at my neighbor (who was mad and upset) and ran home. So she's not mad at my dogs especially because she said the look on their face when they realized what they did was wrong was pitiful.

So what caused this whole day?? After talking to other neighbors, other people around and viewing our cameras - it turns out that the kid (20 year old) who rents a trailer next to my other property line was shooting guns all day because we weren't home. This is the same kid who I told the next time his dog was loose on my property and killing my chickens again (my dogs couldn't get to where the dog was killing them at) that we would shoot his dog to protect what is ours and he needed to contain his dog. He purposely lets the dog off his chain and doesn't watch him and he gets through the horses electric fence and comes to the chicken house the back way. I have this all on video because we have camera all around the house. SO anyway- the kid is shooting all day - gets my horses stirred up and terrified. Which causes the dogs to get upset. The horses get out by literally breaking through the fence in fear. Dogs see this, know it's not right and somehow managed to get out to go get/protect the horses. Horses end up on the road, another neighbor tries to catch the horses, caught one and since the kid is still shooting - my mare breaks the halter the neighbor put on her and takes off, of course the other one follows. Neighbor managed to at least get them off the road and into the acreage where I found them. Thank god! So since the dogs couldn't get the horses back they then went back home and since we weren't home and they knew we weren't home they apparently stayed by the house most of the time doing their job. Not once did they chase the chickens or guineas. All was good until the little white dog came acrossed the field barking at them.... sigh. When we came home the dogs were laying in the driveway waiting for us. .

So it all boils down to basically one person's irresponsibility and lack of concern.

Sorry this ended up being so long... I just really needed to vent....

That kid who started the whole mess is 20 yrs old, he's an adult, I'd press charges. You have the video to prove it. Make HIM pay the vet bills for the lady's dog since it' was his fault this all happened. JMO

So sorry you had such a bad day
sad.png

Not knowing the law in Ky, it's very difficult to give any advice at all. But here in Georgia we do have a little recourse. We had a youngster living near us in a rental trailer do much the same thing. Except all his shooting was not at a substancial backstop. That night the wife as usual took the dog out for a walk and came back and ask me what a bullet sounded like. I asked why. She said one went over her head. So I go and talk to the boy to explain to him if one of his stray shot hit my wife I would very ticked and he would not be safe in his rental. He said he understood. But went on the the sheriffs office the next day and explain the situation to a buddy of mine on the force. He said if the shooting start again to call him of his cell. It did, I did and that was the end of it

This young gentleman you speak of should be in real trouble. Sounds to me as though he did what he did with the intent of getting the results he got. I would be on him like sticky on honey and never let up till he pays for his "prank". This dude is evil in my mind.

Last edited:
My neighbors put their dog down themselves and never took it to the vet so there isn't any bills to pay. End result is a bunch of broken hearts and unfortunately there's no charges to presss for that.
sad.png

is it going to cost you anything to fix your fences? A 20 year old should be held accountable for whatever idiocy he gets up to, especially if he did it on purpose to spook your horses. If you consider what could have happened, you all got off lucky. But it's just pure blind luck that neither your horses or your dogs or the three year old at your neighbor's house got hurt, hit by a car, broke a leg, got bit by your dogs...the list is too frightening to continue. Call the cops and even if they don't find it a prosecutable offense, if the knucklehead does it again, it will be. I don't understand people and why anyone would think it would be funny to do something like that. I would beat the snot out of the kid myself, but that could get you in trouble, so better to call the police. I would bet money that if your dogs had bit this 20 year old, you would now be facing the police and possibly having your dogs put down for being deemed vicious.

I'm SO sorry for you, your neighbor and all the animals lost or terrified by this thoughtless, stupid event.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
You can still go to the authorities. While there aren't any vet bills, there could be something that guy
smack.gif
can be charged with.

Gun rights aside...I will never understand why some people think it's ok to play with a gun in the vicinity of HOMES, animals and children!! I'm not looking to start a debate about guns but suffice it to say...if you never shoot a gun in a neighborhood, no one will EVER be hurt by it or the sound they make. I'm astonished shooting a gun isn't regulated to shooting ranges.

I talked to DH about talking to the PD about it. Here's our concerns: we don't have the 20 year old kidd on video shooting. There isn't sounds either. So basically all you see is the horses upset for a long time and the dogs barking. They got out of the field out of camera range but you do catch them later on camera loose running like crazy and the dogs trying to protect them. Then there is no more horses and you see the dogs around the house and every now and then the dogs running off and coming back. Technically with our county ordinances we would be at fault because our dogs and horses were not on leash or in a field. So there lies our problem.

You know what's the killer of all this?? We are the ONLY house that I know of within a mile of here that has a fenced in area for our dogs. There are 2 people that keep there's chained and the rest run loose.

You try to do what's right and you still get screwed.

Reikistar........one reason it's not is folks like me. I bought 19 acres so I would have room. Anyway, when I shoot long range, I don't know of any gun range with a 1000 meter target. And most probably that could only happen is in California, Washington, Oregon, and Mass.

Still, that crazy, conniving punk should be made to understand he will pay for his "pranks". He's sitting in his trailer laughing himself sick.

Just a thought--how did you know the boy was shooting? How did you determind this? If it was a neighbor who heard the shooting , that would be evidence enough. You may have a stronger case than you think. THe horses and dogs were on your property, contained, until the shooting began.

Sorry for your upset. Sounds like you have some really great neighbors despite the one trouble maker.

Back
Top Bottom