What A Beautiful day! A few More Duck Q's...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pet Duck Boy, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey all, It's an awesome day out right now! A tad hot though. It's sitting in the low 80's.
    I was out with Sunny, keeping her some company when I rememberd a few other questions.

I live in Central Florida, and like all of FL, it gets pretty hot out during the summer. It's usually in the high 90's-100 on a typical day. She was a house duck for most of the summer, so how would she handle it? Should she be kept inside? Another question, she laid her first egg about 4 days ago. I was so excited, but she hasn't laid an egg since. I also hear a lot that ducks need to be exposed to sunlight a lot to lay eggs often. Ever since she did lay, I'm keeping her out in the light as much as possible. I'm also mixing a little crushed cuttle bone for extra calcium. The egg she laid was relatively soft. When should I expect her to lay if I keep this up? Next few days? I'm heading out of town next week, for 12 days. She's going to stay with some friends. Like I mentioned before in another post, she's a pretty protective duck. And only allows my family to touch her. What would be the best way to introduce her to them? She loves peas too, should I make them give her some? And the last question...how would I make her "nice" to my dog? He's 12, and is a really good dog. He wouldn't touch her when Sunny was just a duckling. Now, he's afraid of her. She's always picky at his paws and he tries his best to get away. I kinda want them to be good "friends" maybe not love eachother, but at least get my dog to know she's not out to kill him. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I'm in Central Florida also and I'm pretty sure your duck will be just fine. I know a lot of people who have ducks that survive the summers around here. If you have a place for them to swim and cool down and a nice shaded area for them to forage and duck-nap, I don't see a problem.

3. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Your duck sunny sounds like such a cutie. I'm afraid I'm new to ducks soo I prolly can't offer any advice. My ducks will always come round for peas, doesn't matter who's holding them. We had a couple of very little kids who got too excited and scared the crud outa them. They splashed them really hard while they were in the pool and they panicked really big time. About five minutes later, when the kids were holding out handfuls of peas they waddled on over and stuffed themselves!

4. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I sometimes wish she was afraid of other people! [​IMG]
    Instead, she wants to murder them! Another odd behavior I noticed, is that she'll actually wrap her neck around someone's leg, and stick her head up their shorts. Strange eh? She's a sweetheart to me though. [​IMG]

5. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Lool. Maybe you should get people to stuff spinach up their shorts!!! Rory always stuck his nose up my sleeves when I was feeding him peas so I started stuffing spinach up there, he was soooo excited when he found it. Mind you, he also likes to get his beak round the diamond in my engagement ring and pull like all get out and I am not going to get him diamonds to eat!!!
    I worry about my ducks bein scared though, I would love your kick ass duck!!

6. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    LOL, my kick-ass duck, haha. Everyone always wants to pet her though, maybe it's because she was raised alone after her brother died at 2 weeks. She thinks she's a human.
    Here's a precious video of lucky and Sunny, just 5 days old. Lucky is the paler looking one. Poor little guys died in my sister's hand. She cried all day. [​IMG]

7. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awww, so cute. Poor little lucky, I woulda cried all day too.
    I think also one of the reasons everyone wants to pet Sunny might because she looks like a cartoon! I got a black and white duck and a grey duck and a white duck with orange feet and nose, jus like Sunny (only about half the size!!) The two coloured ducks were raised by hand and are quite tame but Doogie the white one was raised by his mum and is really skittish yet that's the one everyone want to stroke. Poor Doogie, it's like his little curse to look like a cartoon and be loved too much. Everyone make a beeline for the Doog every time. He always has this panicky look on his face!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by