What a brave little chick and an amazing little flock!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajay, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    My little Wellie chicken, Lucy, 6 weeks (I think!) hurt her leg about 5 days ago. My dog went after the chicks and cornered her. [​IMG] She hurt her leg badly and even her wing seems a little off. We have felt her legs and checked her range of motion and all seems to be well, but she can't put any weight on her bad leg. I have been keeping her inside so she can rest, but taking her out during the day with our other 3 chickens for brief times so there won't be any integration issues further down the road.

My other girls have been so sweet to her. They step on her occasionally to get to something else, but they haven't picked on her at all. They forage together for the most part and when she couldn't move more than a few steps, she would chirp and they would all come running back to her. Today I ended up keeping her out longer than usual and when I brought her in, everyone started squawking like mad. I want to keep her inside until she is healed, but when I brought her in, I got squawked at by everyone. Lucy was chirping like mad and the other chickens hopped up on the patio furniture outside the window turned to face the inside of the house and squawked until I brought her back out. [​IMG] Brave little thing hopped up onto a roost on her one good leg tonight determined to sleep with her flock. Now I just hope that she doesn't fall off in the middle of the night and hurt herself even worse. [​IMG]

2. superbrew

superbrew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    Those are amazing animals. Great story. Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, ajay. That made me smile [​IMG]
    It's amazing what friendships they can form, isn't it?

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Too sweet! She must really love her little coop-mates!

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

And who says chickens are mean and nasty to each other...that is an awesome story...how is Lucy doing? Pics? We love pics...lol

6. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Very cool - thanks for sharing.

-Okt

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That is awesome! I had a 2 week old with a bad gash on it's thigh I think from a possum. It couldn't walk at all and I tried to isolate it yet keep it close to the others so it could heal. But after only a couple days I had to put it back in with the others because it was raising too much fuss. The others didn't peck it's wound at all and acted as though she was normal. But they weren't as sweet as yours! What a great story [​IMG]

8. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Quote:Did her leg heal? I am so worried about my little Lucy.

Here's a link to her hobbling around. I don't have very many pictures of her. The other Wellie I have and her look almost identical. I can never tell in pictures which is which. I have to hold them and look for these miniscule details to tell them apart. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by