What a difference a broody makes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hinotori, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    One of my broodies hatched out four babies Wednesday. Today she got up and had them outside. The little fuzz balls were running circles aroud her uncaring that it's 48 degrees out and the ground is wet. I compare that to their moms who had a heat lamp and it just seems so amazing. They are such resilient critters.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Amazing little creatures. Very addictive.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So true. I started out brooding in the house (never again) and now have watched broodies hatch chicks in all weather. I think they grow off faster and feather faster, too. I've also read they pick up some immunity from cocci from their mamas. I don't have or want an incubator (but then I don't sell chicks.)

4. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    We would like a mostly self sustaining flock for eggs and occasional meat. That's why I got the silkies instead of an incubator. The girls hit 6 months and went broody. The only unfortunate thing is that other than the 2 silkie boys, I can't pick a boy out of a straight run bin. So these babies are half silkie.

I set up the converted dog house just for mama and babies so she has a retreat I can shut and give her crumbled egg. I have a small light in there and she loves it. She's taken them out a few times today but they still nap a lot. Last two days she just sat and they would dart out for a moment.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    I had a problem with that though. As soon as they started to hatch the ants came and killed them. I'd suggest an incubator.

6. acoustic-rooster

acoustic-rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    N E Ohio
    Quote:Really? This is the first time I've heard of ants being a problem, where was the nest? I hatched some eggs with a broody and if I hatch more I'll do it with a broody still.

7. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    We don't have ant issues. I can toss fruit on the compost and nada. But then our soil is to wet for them half the year. Only ants I've see here is carpenter ants very rarely.

8. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I have not had problems with ants myself in all my 'long brooding history' of 1 hatch but a friend in this area has. I do mix DE in the nesting box and hen house bedding though. I hear it keeps ants away.

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:Really? This is the first time I've heard of ants being a problem, where was the nest? I hatched some eggs with a broody and if I hatch more I'll do it with a broody still.

In the South, we have Fire-ants. Meanest little buggers ever created. They have not migrated as far north as Ohio yet; not sure they are even into Tennessee.

The Fireants make brooding at least interesting and at most extremely difficult. I typically hatch in an incubator (excepting ducks) simply because of the Fireants: to many deaths otherwise.

10. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I forgot you all have fireants down that way. It's been a while since we went to Texas so no bites recently enough to jog the memory. Yeah, those things are nasty. I'm up in nice cool damp Western Washington. My biggest issue is other girls trying to steal the eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by