1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What a difference! I now love my neighbor!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Oct 23, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quite awhile back I was upset because my elderly neighbor had asked to hunt deer on our farm and I had turned her down. I was upset because I didn't want to create waves with people that my DH has known his whole life. I was really feeling like an outsider.

So about a week ago this neighbor came to buy eggs from me and I told her about my predator problem. After more than three years of free ranging I suddenly had this predator problem. I've recently lost a total of 7 chickens. The neighbor patted me on the shoulder and told me that she had seen this particular predator down by the fence line between our properties. She told me not to worry, she would take care of it.

Today she came up to buy eggs again and told me that her son had taken care of the original predator the other day, but she had spotted another of the same kind of predator, again near the fence line, on her way to church this morning. She said she would have taken care of it right then and there, but doesn't carry a rifle to church with her. [​IMG]

Out locking up the chickens just awhile ago I heard a gunshot. Sure enough my neighbor, this sweet little old lady, has removed the second problem. [​IMG]

I still will not allow hunting on the farm, but it's nice to know she doesn't hold that against me. [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Aww, she sounds sweet. [​IMG] It's so nice to have neighbors who don't hold grudges and do act... neighborly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Particularly since she seems to be quite the good shot..

5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow - lose a pred and gain a BFF, all in one day! I'm really sorry you lost your chickens...

6. NightingaleJen

NightingaleJen Out Of The Brooder

Wow, good for her! Sorry about your chickens, but maybe with the preds gone they'll be safer. Yay neighbor!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

Seriously, I've always heard good fences make good neighbors and good shots make neighbors polite. [​IMG]

Works for me. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    From what they tell me she is actually an excellent shot. Me? I have a shotgun for a reason and still I'm lucky if I can hit the broad side of a barn with it.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Lucky you! All my crazy neighbor with the gun does is shoot swallow birds and stray cats... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (although i suppose if i asked him and had an animal trapped he'd shoot it for me...)

She sounds like a great neighbor![​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can't see a reason why she would hold it against you, unless she is nuts like some members here seem to have. I am so glad she was able to solve the problem for you too!!!! Our predators have pretty much left since Khan came home with us. Not that he is a threat. He is just big and loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by