What a difference in these new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by libbyhan, May 14, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I have 3 Partridge Rock chicks and a production red chick that are 3.5 weeks old. We got our new Aracaunas (though it sounds like they are probably easter eggers?) yesterday- they are less than a week old.

Today, I found 2 worms in the wet driveway and brought them in to the big chicks. They all ran up to the worms (on some clover), looked alarmed, panicked! and ran away. They came back one by one and looked at the worms closley with that chicken-look. You know the one, real close up with one eye. Too cute. But, even after a close look, they retreated back to the far corner of the brooder. Wimps. One worm was big and fat and just looked so pathetic. After 20 minutes of him laying there, drying out in the light, I finally picked him up and threw him back outside. The little worm was still there- just curled on a wet leaf. The chicks were still cowering in the corner peeping madly at the tiny worm wriggling on their nice, safe clover. What the heck is wrong with this picture???

So, I decided to toss the worm in the brooder with the 1 week olds. These guys promptly grabbed that worm, each at one end, and gobbled him up! Lickety split. I also just saw one chick chest bump the other and totally challenge her! My 3 weekers NEVER do that!

So, is it the breed? My older chicks seem so.... I don't know..... SOFT in comparison!

A pic of Goldfish, the production red:

[​IMG]

The PR learning how to escape. Too bad they never GO anywhere but the edge of the brooder

[​IMG]

And, the tough new chicks
    [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Them hatchery chicks are hard core [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by