What a dissappointment!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peruvian_princess, Jul 14, 2008.

1. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    So I just incubated my second clutch of eggs I had sent in. Well out of 41 eggs 4 hatched. Talk about a let down. Last time I got 1 out of 12. I have had the wrost luck hatching eggs that are shipped in. Now this is the clincher. They wre all developed or developing so what is the problem? If some can hatch out great then why cant the rest of them? My humidity ran 40% for 18 days then at 65% the last few days. SO now I have 1 silkie, 1 blue salmon faverolle, and 2 ameraucanas. At least I got some that hatched I wished i would have gotten at least 2 of each but I guess that is what happens when you count your chickens before they hatch.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of incubator are using? Is it newish or older?

What kind of thermometer are you using?

How are you sterilizing your incubator between hatches?

also - this is completely normal with shipped eggs.

3. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    It is a Genesis 1588 it is a flukers thermo-hygro combo and I use diluted clorox solution to clean it. It is brand new I have only had it for about 2-3 months. I figured it was the norm for shipped eggs at least I did get at least one of each except the salmon faverolles I only got a blue one.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Get a second thermometer and test the 2 in the bator with it empty without eggs. I hate my flukers.

Are you using a turner? That can raise the temps at least 1 degree and it will have an effect on the eggs.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do you have any fertile hatching eggs of your own or know of someone close that would have some for you to try in the bator?...I'd try hatchings from someone close...That way you should know if its the bator or shipping that is doing them in...

I always put acouple of eggs from my henhouse in with a hatch of shipped, lets me know where the problems are...

It can be a bummer with shipped eggs...been there, done that...

6. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Yes I am using a turner. Another thing was that the 4 that hatched out hatched on day 19! Maybe my thermo is incorrect and they are too hot in their?

7. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Yes I hatched 14 out of 20 of my own eggs the last go around so I thought that was pretty good ratio.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am willing to bet your temps are running high. Even 1.5 degrees too high and everything fails. Ask me how I know. I just got off the phone with GQF about one of my 1588's.

9. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I assume that must be it too. Also I noticed they are full of fluid when I open the eggs up. Does that mean the humidity is to high too? Well some are full of lfuid and some are very dry.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  10. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I had eight shipped eggs incubated by the experts at A&M, and I just went to pick up my chicks. One out of eight hatched, and it was killed in the incubator fan. [​IMG]

I incubated 14 shipped Silkie eggs in my still air LG turn-them-by-hand 'bator, and I have nine chicks. [​IMG]

Go figure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by