What a good rooster!..... I mean... Drake! (please read)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My drake acts like a rooster! When he sees a hawk in the sky, he does this weirdo quack... And all tue hens and ducklings run for cover. And he stands out there and waits till its gone... He is such a good drake! (rouen BTW) will never let him slip out of my hands! Do any of yalls drakes do this?

2. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    One of my runner drakes does that. Also, he never competes with the ducks for treats. I can throw a worm at his feet and he will wait for a duck to come get it.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I think its super cool! Lol. I was worried that a hawk might get one of my duckies, but not with him around! ...hey how are the khakis? Still laying good?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga drakes do this. Of course, the roosters also do it, so there is a LOT of alerting going on in my flock.

The geese watch birds in the sky, but mostly alert for ground predators, like the next door neighbor's cat. I know when that cat hops the fence and so does everybody else in the world.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thats cool! Isnt it nice when they do a good job watching the flock...

6. grawg

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I'm so tempted to get some geese... I'll probably wait a couple years and work on getting an adequate pasture setup for them first.

As for the khakis, they are doing great! Since I got them, I think only one of them has missed a day laying eggs. That old drake of yours has even taught my runners how to use the duck house. 10x easier to herd them since he took charge of the flock.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I'm so tempted to get some geese... I'll probably wait a couple years and work on getting an adequate pasture setup for them first.

As for the khakis, they are doing great! Since I got them, I think only one of them has missed a day laying eggs. That old drake of yours has even taught my runners how to use the duck house. 10x easier to herd them since he took charge of the flock.

So glad to hear that! My rouen drake wasnt the nicest to him, so marley (the khaki drake) never got to shine. sounds like they are having the time of their lives, so happy! [​IMG] [​IMG] thanks again for helping me by buying them!

8. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I now have 5 lady ducks waiting for the man, oops, drake of their dreams. Do ducks dream? My goats run for shelter when they see the hawks or they hide under my horse.

9. grawg

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG] Please tell me those are pygmy goats, or maybe fainting goats...

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    My goose Hercules does the same things--he treats the flock like a very special family entrusted to his care. And he is SMART. One time he brought a hen up from the lake, at a run, to where we were in the backyard. She had gotten tangled in fishing line, and he knew we could help her. Then he settled her in the pen and went back to the lake to bring the rest of the flock up to be with her. Amazing.

Yesterday I took some sweet footage of him and one of the girl ducks in the kiddy pool together. They were doing a little courtship dance, and he was repeatedly dipping water out with his bill to dribble on her back, and she was flirting with him and then nuzzling his chest with her bill, and around and around the pool they went, totally engrossed with each other and totally in love. Every once in a while he'd put a foot on her back like he'd kind of like to mate with her, but he never put his weight on her--I believe he knows he's too big and heavy and would hurt her.

I really want him to have a mate his own size, but he drives off any geese we try to introduce to the flock. He had a "brother", but the brother died defending the flock from a domestic dog while Hercules guided everyone else down to the lake to safety. I'll never forget how Hercules grieved--the whole neighborhood must have heard his mourning song.

Herc is always the last to eat, always the first to notice danger. He's an incredible asset to the flock.

On a practical note, geese are louder, poopier, and eat more than ducks, so they are not for everyone. But if you have the space & can afford the feed, I highly recommend a pair raised with every batch of ducklings. They are amazing creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by