What a great idea!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pieman, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Pieman

Pieman New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Hello all - not sure why it took this long to figure out that my parents need chickens, but I am looking to jump in. My father raised them during WWII and I think it'd be a great past-time for him in retirement as well as providing them (and me) fresh eggs. They live in suburban Philadelphia with about 1.5 acres.

I checked with the local code and it's allowed for their lot size. I would like to get a book on the subject to determine if this is realistic (I only visit them 1x per week or so so I won't be available to do the day-to-day stuff) and how to set this up. Any book tips or points on this site would be great!

Thanks in advance.

2. Pieman

Pieman New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Ha ha, thanks. That's a beautiful picture and I am sure my father would immediately say, "Oh, that's a something or something or other..."

3. jmmeye4

jmmeye4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Welcome to BYC

I have several books on chickens and other livestock however have found this site more educational as each setup, chicken, and situation is unique. For myself, I have 7 chickens an 11lbs feeder and they will clean it out in a week.

If you are the only one going to feed, clean, water the chickens I would recommend on getting some larger food and water bins and practice the deep litter method. Chicken eggs should be picked up every day to keep the hens from going broody.

The largest issue faced would be the security as opening and closing the coop every day is important. It allows them room to roam and avoids other chicken issues. Most books will provide a good basis for understanding, just run through some threads on hear and see what you find. We are here to help.

4. Pieman

Pieman New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks. My parents would definitely do the day to day - I want my dad to have this as a hobby, I just want to be able to do the messy stuff that may be needed.

5. Pieman

Pieman New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    I bought my dad a book of chicken portraits a few years ago - he liked it. In the cover I wrote this, er, 'poem':

Oh chicken,
    You are so fowl,
    Born to be eaten,
    Bear to be beaten.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The Learning center is a great place to start.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x3 on the Learning Center.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by