What a last few days...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by misschickenlittle, Jan 8, 2011.

1. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Everyone always looks forward to a better year when a new one rolls around. I am no different. However, I'm wondering if the year starts out the way this one is if that's a sign things will just continue to get worse or if we have the worst now and the best later?!?!?! Ok, so attitude is also important... so I'm keeping my spirits up and thanking God for protecting this family from the things unseen!

Monday my step-daughter came to live with us the rest of the school year. Over the last few weeks her and her mom have been dealing with lice on her... We have not gotten them here and there are 4 of us... BUT apparently the last treatment they did on Sunday did not get rid of all the eggs as she has them again. [​IMG] Just what I wanted to deal with...

Then last night when I got home from work the Roo was going NUTS! Litterally crowing like crazy and it was dark! I thought, what in the world...

I was headed out with some lettuce and to collect eggs. As I approached the coop, (our house perimeter lights were on so I could see) the Roo and the girls were outside already... I noticed one of my loverly Polish was what appearded to be laying on the ground and not moving. I called her name and nothing. Oh, no! So I went in the run and sure enough, she was dead. [​IMG]

I have no idea what it could have been. She was only 9 months old, and never showed any signs of sickness. This morning I went out to check on them and one of my RIR's was jsut sitting in the doorway of a nesting box all puffed up. Before I approached her, I looked around the coop and saw a few bright red spots on the bedding. Then I picked her up, she didn't even protest, (those girls don't like being touched), and her left foot was covered in a bloody looking poo. So... what in the world could it be... I have her isolated now and we're going to treat for Coccidiosis. I've never wormed the girls so maybe that's my problem.

(I'll post the last part under the diseases section too to get some thoughts there...)

So as you can see... I'm ready for good!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry your year is off to a poor start!

I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a predator involved, rather than illness. Check that hen over VERY carefully for injuries. Quite often the injuries are hidden by feathers and the wings. Or they may be internal.

Hope the year gets better!

3. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    What kind of predator could get into the run? It's covered and we've blocked off the spot where the coon got in once... Also, I didn't see any injuries or blood or anything... I guess I could go look her over better and see if I can find any. I didn't bury her because the ground is rather frozen. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I meant the RIR.

There are so many things that can get into a run, depends upon how it's built. The fact that they were all outside the coop after dark is what makes me think they were attacked. The 3 times I've seen mine outside after dark have all been because a predator had attacked them in the coop.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    On the lice.....BTDT. I found that all the lice treatments do NOT work! I think the little bugs have become so adapted that they are immune. We would do a lice treatment, following all the instructions exactly and still be able to find live lice on the head 10 minutes later. Don't waste your money. The only way we found to deal with them was to sit there and pick off every live louse and every egg (yes its time consuming). We kept a cup next to us with water and a layer of oil on the top. Each was dropped in as we found it and then flushed down the garbage disposal afterward (they drowned due to the oil on top so the garbage disposal was just a precaution). Then we repeated the next day. And the next and next and next. Until eventually one night we did not find any more sign of them. With DS I was able to get out the clippers and crop his hair very close to the scalp which took care of most of them but with girls its tougher - DD and I spent many "quality" hours together during infestations! The worst thing is, every time the kids came home with lice, my scalp immediately started itching. I would pour half a bottle of isopropyl alcohol over my head before shampooing and always felt better immediately afterward (just be really careful to have it run off the back of your head - not down your face). Fortunately, once they're out of elementary school, the problem sort of goes away.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I sent you a pm on an olive oil treatment. Essentially you drown the buggers in oil. They suffocate. I had to use it twice thanks to scout caps ( which I refuse to buy now). It works fast and well. One treatment and I was done. It does involve combing through a ton though too soo stil a bit of work.

7. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:You know I thought that too about elementary school... This girl is in 7th grade!!!! The school she goes to is 6-8 only... My K & Pre-K kids don't have them... I'm getting ready to run the comb through thier hair so I know for sure...

8. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Ok I just checked on her and find no visible indication of attack. Last night she wasn't like this though. It was just this morning. Right now her butt has a yellowish white goop on it. Should I bathe her? I'll try to get pictures because I know that helps a ton.

Thanks for all the concern!

Good thing is the other 2 kids still don't have lice. I just ran through the oldes'st hair with 2 combs and only found maybe 8 eggs. Nothing was alive. [​IMG]

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope your days are getting better! For the lice you can get some shower caps at the dollar store(8 pacK) and cover everyone with oil for atleast 6 hours. Once you wash out you can look for the eggs.And if there is no bugs well no harm done.The oil is good for the scalp!
    Those little buggers are so hard to see!

10. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I've also heard that Listerine can work. Just soak the entire head of hair with it, cover with a towel for a while, then rinse out. I don't have any experience with lice - that's just what I read somewhere so who knows. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by